Installing Win 7 off of an Upgrade

Foxrage2

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
I want to install Win7 on my new comp. However I want to use my student discount from Microsoft and buy just the update version of Prof and install that. Is there a way to do it?

Yes you can install the Upgrade version without an upgrade.

You chose the Custom install method during install.

But there are a few things, like I don't think it will activate.

But I have seen, but haven't tried the work arounds (e.g. Registry Edits). Google it.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
If you have a student discount, do you by chance also have access to the MSDNAA? I'd talk to your advisor and find out, you can get tons of Microsoft software for free, including Windows, and it's totally legal. If you're a college student in any kind of computer related field (even computer based art degrees sometimes), chances are you can get in. Just need to talk to your school to find out.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Install normally, don't put a key and set it to not activate or do any updates. This installs a trial version. Then from inside windows, just pop the CD out and back in and it should auto run the install again and reinstall it as an upgrade. The next time you install it, put the key in and let it go the internet and authenticate when it is done. That's it.

It's only legal if you already own an operating system for that computer, if you don't, it's not. Which in the OPs case and yours seems to be the case.

raven2510

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

Yes, your right. But either way, it will work. I had an old failed laptop, I just say that I transferred it over.

Remember, an OEM version of windows automatically changes to a Retail version when an Upgrade is applied. This allows it to be transferred to a new machine as long as the old machine is not running windows anymore.

OP, I would just follow the SevenForums link and do it that way.