Sign in with
Your question

Recent Upgrade from a Wireless G to a Wireless N, and now I can\'t connect to in

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 30, 2012 12:49:08 PM

I have 5 machines that connect to the internet wirelessly; A Win7 laptop, Win Vista laptop, Win Xp laptop, and Gen 1 IPad, and my PS3

Ok. I had a Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO router Mod#F5D9230-4 for a few years, and it finally crapped out on me. I couldn't access advanced features on it anymore, and it was constantly dropping out my wireless signal on my laptops and PS3 whenever I was playing on-line every 8 minutes. I could never get it solved with Belkin as to why.

So I purchase a replacement model: A D-Link Wireless N Dual Band Router Mod#DIR-815. All laptops and devices listed above connect to the internet through the router with no issues except the Win Vista laptop. The Vista laptop connects to the router, and it shows the connection when I access the router on-line, but the computer can not connect to the internet, nor can it access the router.

I was on the phone with D-Link tech support, and after 30 minutes, they informed me to go back to the manufacturer and resolve it with them.

I ran a boot-time virus scan using avast! and the scan found nothing out of the ordinary. I'm thinking that the computer may need a factory re-install of the OS because 1. its not my laptop and 2. the user of the laptop has little regard for security or updating.

Does anyone else have any ideas before I commit to a factory reinstall?
a b D Laptop
a c 79 F Wireless
May 30, 2012 2:53:04 PM

is the SSID the same?

is the wireless mode the same? WEP, WAP, or WAP2
m
l
May 30, 2012 3:01:15 PM

The SSID is the same and the wireless security is WPA2. All my computers and devices use this.
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a c 79 F Wireless
May 30, 2012 3:05:16 PM

have you tried deleting the stored wireless network profile and then reconnect?
m
l
June 9, 2012 2:39:21 AM

There appears to be no answer to this inquiry
m
l
June 9, 2012 3:14:33 AM

Jsch2107 said:
I'm thinking that the computer may need a factory re-install of the OS because 1. its not my laptop and 2. the user of the laptop has little regard for security or updating.

Does anyone else have any ideas before I commit to a factory reinstall?

Well, you may be answering your own question. If the user has such little regard for network security they hold their files in a similar regard. In a larger context Vista has always been problematic, it's probably a driver issue, but impossible to say without a boatload of info.
m
l
!