VAMP

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
hi i know this is a sad que, but im re-foratting my mates hdd, and i dont want to f*ck it up, can anyone plz tell me the best way to do this as im only a web desingner!
thanx in advance
Vamp

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
If you are using Windows 98, make a windows 98 startup disk (on floppy). You can do so from your add/remove programs under your Control Panel.

Shut down your PC. Insert the disk so the computer boots off of it (if you have another device boot first, you'll need to change this in your BIOS, so your floppy drive is first).

The disk will load. It will ask you if you want to start your computer with CD-ROM support. If you are just formatting, you can select no to decrease the loading time (since floppies are really slow).

When it is through loading, type "format C:" without the quotes. Assuming your friend's harddrive letter is C (it is by default). Also, if he has multiple partitions, you will need to format them all, if you want to earse the entire drive (so if he has a D partition, you will need to format D: as well)

Select Y for yes, to erase everything. Your done.

To install windows again, you will need to boot off the same startup floppy disk. This time you will NEED to select yes to start the computer with CD-ROM support (otherwise you won't be able to read your Windows CD).

Type setup at the A: prompt, or if he has mulitple CD-ROM drives or a burner, find the normal CD-ROM drive letter (like drive E: perhaps), type it, then type "setup"

If you are on Windows 95, it will be a little different as Win 95 does not have 32-bit plug & play Win ASPI drivers for CD-ROMs (I don't remember exactly how the process works). If you are using Windows 2000 or something, ask someone else. If you are using Linux or some other crap, ask on another forum :)

Also, if you friend got a virus or something, you may want to delete then remake the partitions using FDISK (because his boot sector might be infected). Don't ask me about this unless you neeed to do it.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Here is some reading that may help. You will want to high level format the HDD to install an operating system like Win9x, Me, W2k, Win XP. <A HREF="http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/geom/format.htm" target="_new">PC Guide</A>

<font color=purple><b>An average human brain weights aprox. 3lbs., but a thought weights a load.</font color=purple></b>

Pissas

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
if you use xp or 2000 yoy can boot directly from the cd and withon the installation you can find an option to format yous HD or to alter partition etc.If you are using Linux again inside the installation you can find a section that reffers to managing your HD's and if you dont want them again you can quit the installation afterwards.I believe its the simplest way.

Hope it works