kenwood ka-v5000 need help setup.

Last response: in Home Audio
June 17, 2005 8:26:10 PM

I need help in using a Kenwood ka-v5000 av amplifier.

Its a 5.1 dolby surround sound amplifier

on the rear it has

Speaker outs:
Front left and right
Rear Left and right
Center out left/right
Pre Out (for subwoofer)

as for oudio inputs I only see rca left and right for all audio/video input
sources.

I don't see any Dolby digital either optical or coaxial inputs for any of
the audio/video input sources..

Just wondering how the amplifier is setup to receive a 5.1 digial input
source so it can make use of the 5.1 speaker setup connected which it
suppots?

More about : kenwood v5000 setup

June 17, 2005 8:57:42 PM

It may not have digital inputs, but this won't stop it from creating
5.1 output. The encoding into DD5.1 is done by the receiver - it's
typical to accept Left and Right RCA and encode that into 5.1.

Optical or coax digital input is a 'truer' signal, and may result in
better quality output, but it's not required for DD5.1 (or even DTS, I
believe) to function correctly.

It's all black magic, man.
June 21, 2005 12:16:04 PM

Basically. Amps can also create 6.1 DTS from a 2-channel source signal,
I'm pretty sure.

I wish I knew how that stuff worked. I have some old VHS tapes of a
British sitcom that I fire up once in awhile; my VCR is plain 2-channel
stereo, but when I set my amp to ProLogic 2, the sound of the dialog is
in the center, but the sound of the laughter is off to the sides and
the back. Given that it's all the same frequency range, how it decides
to separate like that is beyond me. But hey, it works. ;-)
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 8:05:39 PM

"DW" <dwhittier@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> It may not have digital inputs, but this won't stop it from creating
> 5.1 output. The encoding into DD5.1 is done by the receiver - it's
> typical to accept Left and Right RCA and encode that into 5.1.
>
> Optical or coax digital input is a 'truer' signal, and may result in
> better quality output, but it's not required for DD5.1 (or even DTS, I
> believe) to function correctly.
>
> It's all black magic, man.

ahh I realise now that it must just upscale the 2 channel audio to 5.1
audio. Thats the only way I see how it gets it. Considering the unit is just
a dolby surround certified receiver.
!