Seized Speaker Repair?

Last response: in Home Audio
June 17, 2005 12:31:02 PM

I've just disassembled a pair of Bose 901's, circa 1977, in order to
replace the tattered foam rings. I noticed that the cone on one of the
drivers doesn't move when I push on it. Is there any way to free it
up? Do I just throw it out and replace it? How would I replace it,
short of cannibalizing another old 901?

Thanks,

- Mark

More about : seized speaker repair

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 5:31:41 PM

<mviesel3@cableone.net> wrote in message
> I've just disassembled a pair of Bose 901's, circa 1977, in order to
> replace the tattered foam rings. I noticed that the cone on one of the
> drivers doesn't move when I push on it. Is there any way to free it
> up? Do I just throw it out and replace it? How would I replace it,
> short of cannibalizing another old 901?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Mark

Shifted magnet, usually caused by dropping. Orange county used to unshift
JBL's. Don't know if they will do bose.

Check them out www.speakerrepair.com

Really good folks, helped me out a bunch!
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 8:13:03 PM

<mviesel3@cableone.net> wrote in message
> I've just disassembled a pair of Bose 901's, circa 1977, in order to
> replace the tattered foam rings. I noticed that the cone on one of the
> drivers doesn't move when I push on it. Is there any way to free it
> up? Do I just throw it out and replace it? How would I replace it,
> short of cannibalizing another old 901?

If you like good sound, then the best bet would be to just throw it out and
replace it, as you suggest. Almost any replacement speaker you can get is
likely to be better than the Bose.

geoff
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 3:58:26 PM

If you want to fix your Bose, others' opinions as to Bose quality are
irrelevant. Does Bose sell a replacement part??
!