Using Win 7 Japanese CD Key for a eng version of Win 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleandog

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
I bought a laptop while travelling overseas in Japan and as a result got a Japanese Windows 7 OS.
I would like to install an English Windows 7 OS on the laptop and was wondering if I could use the Japanese CD key?
Thanks guys,
Josh

Solution
Yes, as long as you install the same version of Windows as the original license is for it will work just fine.
I personally have tried this using an English install disk with a German key and a German install disk with an English key.
There where no issues with the installation or activation.

Do you already have an equivalent English install disk?
If not, there Are Ways to make an install disk with the correct version of Windows 7 from any English install disk :)
You probably could. Some Windows keys are regionally restricted in that they will only pass the Windows Genuine Advantage in the country it was sold in, but as it is for a laptop this may not be a problem. Does your laptop pass WGA in your country if so you do not have a problem and you should be able to reinstall the English version.

Yes, as long as you install the same version of Windows as the original license is for it will work just fine.
I personally have tried this using an English install disk with a German key and a German install disk with an English key.
There where no issues with the installation or activation.

Do you already have an equivalent English install disk?
If not, there Are Ways to make an install disk with the correct version of Windows 7 from any English install disk :)

Solution

Yes defiantly, but only if you have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.
Unfortunately, all other versions are locked to the initially installed language.

cleandog

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
So I installed and an English version of Windows 7 using my Japanese CD key and have had no problems. To confirm correct installation, it has been activated and is downloading Microsoft updates no problem.
To clarify I installed WINDOWS HOME EDITION which as most of you know, cant change the language once it is installed.
Also, I used an English install disc from my other PC.
Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS