V800 - Confirmation that it does not have external Image I..

Last response: in Brands
December 5, 2004 3:17:58 PM

Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.

With regards to your enquiry, although you can have caller ID on the
external display you cannot have caller images. The advertisment most
likely shows a wallpaper image rather than a caller ID

---

Which we all guessed anyway, but at least someone confirmed it.

(Still love the phone though!)

N*
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 3:48:53 PM

NightStar wrote:
> Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.
>
> With regards to your enquiry, although you can have caller ID on the
> external display you cannot have caller images. The advertisment most
> likely shows a wallpaper image rather than a caller ID
>
> ---
>
> Which we all guessed anyway, but at least someone confirmed it.
>
> (Still love the phone though!)
>
> N*

Read about that on Esato having been curious after your last post on this
subject. I'm rather surprised by this flaw. What's the camera like, good as
the S700i's? Should be OK in low light :)

Regards
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 3:55:40 PM

"NightStar" <x.x@x.x> wrote in message
> Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.
>
> With regards to your enquiry, although you can have caller ID on the
> external display you cannot have caller images. The advertisment most
> likely shows a wallpaper image rather than a caller ID

What did you try?
Did you select the image and then press the more key then add to contact/
December 6, 2004 2:05:00 AM

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 12:55:40 GMT, "Avanti"
<martin.collins@btinternet.com> wrote:

>"NightStar" <x.x@x.x> wrote in message
>> Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.
>>
>> With regards to your enquiry, although you can have caller ID on the
>> external display you cannot have caller images. The advertisment most
>> likely shows a wallpaper image rather than a caller ID
>

>What did you try?
>Did you select the image and then press the more key then add to contact/

Sorry - I didn't make myself clear enough (Sorry for any confusion).

I don't have this phone at the moment, but needed to ask about this
feature when reading many posts in forums about the lack of Picture ID
on the front screen. (Which, by looking at most adverts for the
phones, it looks like it does have - Deceptive if you ask me!?)

Someone did mention that, as we've seen in other phones in the past,
this function might be added in a future bios (Is that the correct
word when talking about a phone?) upgrade - But that's just someone's
wish - One that might come to light if SE see enough people wanting
it?

Anyhow, regardless of this omission (And, in my opinion, false
advertising - Even though they'll tell you that they have never
mentioned Picture ID, even if the adverts make it seem that way!) I'm
still going to get it... Should hopefully be around Xmas time when I
get my bonus in (Damn Christmas presents never cost this much before -
Can't buy myself anything! *cough*) unless my other-half is feeling
ever so generous?

When I get it, I'll give my opinions of the phone here, as there are
next to no reviews on the net!

N*
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 2:10:10 AM

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 12:48:53 -0000, "Paul Busby" <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>NightStar wrote:
>> Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.
>>
>> With regards to your enquiry, although you can have caller ID on the
>> external display you cannot have caller images. The advertisment most
>> likely shows a wallpaper image rather than a caller ID
>>
>> ---
>>
>> Which we all guessed anyway, but at least someone confirmed it.
>>
>> (Still love the phone though!)
>>
>> N*
>
>Read about that on Esato having been curious after your last post on this
>subject. I'm rather surprised by this flaw. What's the camera like, good as
>the S700i's? Should be OK in low light :)
>
>Regards

Sorry - See the other post. I don't have the phone at the moment.

From what I've read, the 700 has a better camera - However, I wouldn't
be able to compare as I've currently got a *cough - traitor* n.o.k.i.a

Seriously - It's going to be better than my phone as the camera is
pants (Then again, the phone isn't much cop either!) - But then I
have a proper camera for my photography needs! :)
Regardless, with the flash on the V800, it looks like it could be a
damn good camera, even if it is in a phone!

For anyone currently using any of these phones - May I ask what the
menu system is like? I went over to [that other phone] after using
the T68 and finding it chugging like a half-dead pig in quicksand when
scrolling around the menus, and especially when typing out a text
message. Are the new phones quick and responsive now?
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 4:04:00 AM

NightStar wrote:

> From what I've read, the 700 has a better camera - However, I wouldn't
> be able to compare as I've currently got a *cough - traitor* n.o.k.i.a

I had the k700i before and the v800 now. In theory, the v800 has the
better camera. in real life, both near to unusable indoors/at night (IMHO).

> Seriously - It's going to be better than my phone as the camera is
> pants (Then again, the phone isn't much cop either!) - But then I
> have a proper camera for my photography needs! :)
> Regardless, with the flash on the V800, it looks like it could be a
> damn good camera, even if it is in a phone!

The 'flash' is quite bright, but not bright enough most of the time, i'd
say.

> For anyone currently using any of these phones - May I ask what the
> menu system is like? I went over to [that other phone] after using
> the T68 and finding it chugging like a half-dead pig in quicksand when
> scrolling around the menus, and especially when typing out a text
> message. Are the new phones quick and responsive now?

the k700i sometimes stops responding for a second or so when your're in
the menu. the v800 seems faster, I've not really seen this. On the other
hand I think the vodafone menu is ugly (I had a vodafone branded k700i
in first place as well because the vendor told me the only difference is
the longer warranty and that it's already configured (WAP etc.). When I
found out that the branded k700i doesn't even play the built in mp3 ring
tones, I had it changed to an unbranded one and liked that one much
more... but as the v800 doesn't exist unbranded, I have to live with
that right now)... but that's IMHO again :)
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 4:04:01 AM

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 01:04:00 +0100, Patrick Kormann
<sirdir@hotmail.com> wrote:

>NightStar wrote:
>
>> From what I've read, the 700 has a better camera - However, I wouldn't
>> be able to compare as I've currently got a *cough - traitor* n.o.k.i.a
>
>I had the k700i before and the v800 now. In theory, the v800 has the
>better camera. in real life, both near to unusable indoors/at night (IMHO).
>
>> Seriously - It's going to be better than my phone as the camera is
>> pants (Then again, the phone isn't much cop either!) - But then I
>> have a proper camera for my photography needs! :)
>> Regardless, with the flash on the V800, it looks like it could be a
>> damn good camera, even if it is in a phone!
>
>The 'flash' is quite bright, but not bright enough most of the time, i'd
>say.
>
>> For anyone currently using any of these phones - May I ask what the
>> menu system is like? I went over to [that other phone] after using
>> the T68 and finding it chugging like a half-dead pig in quicksand when
>> scrolling around the menus, and especially when typing out a text
>> message. Are the new phones quick and responsive now?
>
>the k700i sometimes stops responding for a second or so when your're in
>the menu. the v800 seems faster, I've not really seen this. On the other
>hand I think the vodafone menu is ugly (I had a vodafone branded k700i
>in first place as well because the vendor told me the only difference is
>the longer warranty and that it's already configured (WAP etc.). When I
>found out that the branded k700i doesn't even play the built in mp3 ring
>tones, I had it changed to an unbranded one and liked that one much
>more... but as the v800 doesn't exist unbranded, I have to live with
>that right now)... but that's IMHO again :)

For general use, and text messaging and browsing for contacts, I take
it the menu isn't 'slow' as it was for me in the T68 days. (Which I
believed the t68i improved on, but I never bothered with it.) I'm
just worried that the OS will be trying to do more than the phone can
handle, and will "chug"!?
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 1:37:13 PM

NightStar wrote:

> For general use, and text messaging and browsing for contacts, I take
> it the menu isn't 'slow' as it was for me in the T68 days. (Which I
> believed the t68i improved on, but I never bothered with it.) I'm
> just worried that the OS will be trying to do more than the phone can
> handle, and will "chug"!?

I had a T68i(but not the T68) a long time ago. I don't remember that I
had that problem there, but as it's that long...
All I can say is that I don't have any real problems with the v800
except the fact that the battery is emptiing very fast. I had to charge
it about every day the last few days... The only reason I can see for
this is, that I have bought a bluetooth handsfree set for my car - but
normally I'm not so long in there... anyways, no idea.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 12:49:06 AM

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:37:13 +0100, Patrick Kormann
<sirdir@hotmail.com> wrote:

>NightStar wrote:
>
>> For general use, and text messaging and browsing for contacts, I take
>> it the menu isn't 'slow' as it was for me in the T68 days. (Which I
>> believed the t68i improved on, but I never bothered with it.) I'm
>> just worried that the OS will be trying to do more than the phone can
>> handle, and will "chug"!?
>
>I had a T68i(but not the T68) a long time ago. I don't remember that I
>had that problem there, but as it's that long...
>All I can say is that I don't have any real problems with the v800
>except the fact that the battery is emptiing very fast. I had to charge
>it about every day the last few days... The only reason I can see for
>this is, that I have bought a bluetooth handsfree set for my car - but
>normally I'm not so long in there... anyways, no idea.

I'm used to constantly charging up my Nokia - Which is a pain, but
it's become routine now! (Damn phone!) Although you shouldn't need
to, it's something I can live with.

Soon (soon) I'll find out for myself how good it is... (Oh - Tried
any 3rd party games yet?)
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 2:39:18 AM

NightStar wrote:

> I'm used to constantly charging up my Nokia - Which is a pain, but
> it's become routine now! (Damn phone!) Although you shouldn't need
> to, it's something I can live with.

I'm used to that as well, but normally it takes some months until the
battery gets that bad...

> Soon (soon) I'll find out for myself how good it is... (Oh - Tried
> any 3rd party games yet?)

Not really, I think I downloaded a game on the k700i but I don't think
I'll do this ever again - I buy a new mobile phone every few months and
I'm not going to spend money for something I cannot copy to my next phone...
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 2:47:39 AM

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:39:18 +0100, Patrick Kormann
<sirdir@hotmail.com> wrote:

>NightStar wrote:
>
>> I'm used to constantly charging up my Nokia - Which is a pain, but
>> it's become routine now! (Damn phone!) Although you shouldn't need
>> to, it's something I can live with.
>
>I'm used to that as well, but normally it takes some months until the
>battery gets that bad...

It's been months! Oh well - Guess it's a hint to upgrade!

>> Soon (soon) I'll find out for myself how good it is... (Oh - Tried
>> any 3rd party games yet?)
>
>Not really, I think I downloaded a game on the k700i but I don't think
>I'll do this ever again - I buy a new mobile phone every few months and
>I'm not going to spend money for something I cannot copy to my next phone...

True - Agree.

Hold on - Every few months??? Itchy hands, or something? :)
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 4:31:05 AM

NightStar wrote:

> It's been months! Oh well - Guess it's a hint to upgrade!

But the v800 is quite new and already I have to charge it every day :)

> True - Agree.

:)

> Hold on - Every few months??? Itchy hands, or something? :)

Hmm, strong need to always have the latest mobile phone ... even if I
hate makeing telephone calls :)
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 1:21:52 PM

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 01:31:05 +0100, Patrick Kormann
<sirdir@hotmail.com> wrote:

>NightStar wrote:
>
>> It's been months! Oh well - Guess it's a hint to upgrade!
>
>But the v800 is quite new and already I have to charge it every day :)

I suppose that does not bode well for the unit. One has to wonder
with all the gadgets on phones these days, if they're getting too
complicated for their own good? (The main reason I want to keep my
PDA and phone separate!)

One thing though - If you are keeping BT activated all the time (For
when you want to use the headset) then that could be one reason for
the major drain - I do know Bluetooth does drain battery power some
what! (I nearly always keep mine off on my phone as it draws too much
power! - I only every manually turn it on when I need it.)

>> True - Agree.
>
>:)
>
>> Hold on - Every few months??? Itchy hands, or something? :)
>
>Hmm, strong need to always have the latest mobile phone ... even if I
>hate makeing telephone calls :)

There's a method in your madness! :D
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 1:41:04 PM

NightStar wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 01:31:05 +0100, Patrick Kormann
> <sirdir@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> NightStar wrote:
>>
>>> It's been months! Oh well - Guess it's a hint to upgrade!
>>
>> But the v800 is quite new and already I have to charge it every day
>> :)
>
> I suppose that does not bode well for the unit. One has to wonder
> with all the gadgets on phones these days, if they're getting too
> complicated for their own good? (The main reason I want to keep my
> PDA and phone separate!)
>
> One thing though - If you are keeping BT activated all the time (For
> when you want to use the headset) then that could be one reason for
> the major drain - I do know Bluetooth does drain battery power some
> what! (I nearly always keep mine off on my phone as it draws too much
> power! - I only every manually turn it on when I need it.)
>

>>> True - Agree.
>>
>> :)
>>
>>> Hold on - Every few months??? Itchy hands, or something? :)
>>
>> Hmm, strong need to always have the latest mobile phone ... even if I
>> hate makeing telephone calls :)
>
> There's a method in your madness! :D

Li Ion batteries take a few initial charges to reach fully capacity. One
trick I use to extend battery life a little is to use a fairly dark theme -
light letters against a dark background.

Regards
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 6:58:33 PM

NightStar wrote:

> I suppose that does not bode well for the unit. One has to wonder
> with all the gadgets on phones these days, if they're getting too
> complicated for their own good? (The main reason I want to keep my
> PDA and phone separate!)

To be honest, I don't really think the V800 has 'too many' features. I
still see a lot of possibilities to add :)

> One thing though - If you are keeping BT activated all the time (For
> when you want to use the headset) then that could be one reason for
> the major drain - I do know Bluetooth does drain battery power some
> what! (I nearly always keep mine off on my phone as it draws too much
> power! - I only every manually turn it on when I need it.)

I know. But I rather charge the phone every day than to have bluetooth
switched off when I'm driving and the phone rings (because I forgot to
re-enable it...) :)
I enabled the 'energy saving' theme now. Maybe that helps a little (of
course I re-enabled bluetooth..:)  ) another thing might be that it seems
that it takes a long time to fully charge the fone (90% quick, the last
10% take a long time...) maybe I didn't chrage it long enought.

> There's a method in your madness! :D

Of course :)
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 9:58:56 AM

"NightStar" <Im.not@home.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 01:31:05 +0100, Patrick Kormann
> <sirdir@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >NightStar wrote:
> >
> >> It's been months! Oh well - Guess it's a hint to upgrade!
> >
> >But the v800 is quite new and already I have to charge it every day :)
>
> I suppose that does not bode well for the unit. One has to wonder
> with all the gadgets on phones these days, if they're getting too
> complicated for their own good? (The main reason I want to keep my
> PDA and phone separate!)
>
> One thing though - If you are keeping BT activated all the time (For
> when you want to use the headset) then that could be one reason for
> the major drain - I do know Bluetooth does drain battery power some
> what! (I nearly always keep mine off on my phone as it draws too much
> power! - I only every manually turn it on when I need it.)

There is a mode to 'hide' the phone via BT, this leaves BT ready for headset
and pda instant use but saves battery consumption considerably.
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 5:03:47 PM

NightStar wrote:
> Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.
>
> With regards to your enquiry, although you can have caller ID on the
> external display you cannot have caller images. The advertisment most
> likely shows a wallpaper image rather than a caller ID
>
> ---
>
> Which we all guessed anyway, but at least someone confirmed it.
>
> (Still love the phone though!)
>
> N*

Curiously, I have found the SE press release for the V800 at
http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=global&lc=en&ver...

which states

"With the phone flipped open the high resolution 2.2 inch colour TFT
262k screen displays the intuitive user interface and also the
phone's images or those of incoming calls. When the phone is closed a
smaller screen on the outside becomes the viewfinder and displays the
caller ID and the picture associated with that person - in colour,
naturally. "
Seems pretty clear...so what the hell are SE playing at??

December 12, 2004 3:52:23 AM

On 11 Dec 2004 14:03:47 -0800, "Gadgetnutter"
<jcorbett@btinternet.com> wrote:

>NightStar wrote:
>> Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.
>>
>> With regards to your enquiry, although you can have caller ID on the
>> external display you cannot have caller images. The advertisment most
>> likely shows a wallpaper image rather than a caller ID
>>
>> ---
>>
>> Which we all guessed anyway, but at least someone confirmed it.
>>
>> (Still love the phone though!)
>>
>> N*
>
>Curiously, I have found the SE press release for the V800 at
>http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=global&lc=en&ver...
>
>which states
>
>"With the phone flipped open the high resolution 2.2 inch colour TFT
>262k screen displays the intuitive user interface and also the
>phone's images or those of incoming calls. When the phone is closed a
>smaller screen on the outside becomes the viewfinder and displays the
>caller ID and the picture associated with that person - in colour,
>naturally. "
>Seems pretty clear...so what the hell are SE playing at??

I'll ask them and find out - Hopefully someone somewhere know's what's
going on... Then again, it could just be a load more BS!

N*
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 12:29:02 AM

To all - A reply back from Vodafone:

Dear Sir

Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.

With regards to your enquiry, sorry, I stand corrected. The caller ID
is a network function and has to be turned on/ activated by Vodafone.
After this, the picture you have assigned to a contact should display
automatically on the external screen.

---

So for all those that have the V800, call your operator up and ask!
:)

Regards,

N*
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 2:18:45 PM

NightStar schrieb:

> So for all those that have the V800, call your operator up and ask!
> :)

Not so sure wether you are serious now (becuase of the simley)... of
course the caller id feature does not control wether the image is
displayed on the internal or the external screen.
If I were SE I'd say: The picture is displayed on the external screen,
it's just hidden under the text box that appears... :)
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 12:52:35 AM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:18:45 +0100, Patrick Kormann
<sirdir@hotmail.com> wrote:

>NightStar schrieb:
>
>> So for all those that have the V800, call your operator up and ask!
>> :)
>
>Not so sure wether you are serious now (becuase of the simley)... of
>course the caller id feature does not control wether the image is
>displayed on the internal or the external screen.
>If I were SE I'd say: The picture is displayed on the external screen,
>it's just hidden under the text box that appears... :)

Well - I don't have the damn phone so I can't be of more help... This
is what I was given from Vodafone. Call them up and find out.

And I put the smiley there because finally this might be resolved!?

N*
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 12:53:56 AM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:52:35 GMT, NightStar <x.x@x.x> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:18:45 +0100, Patrick Kormann
><sirdir@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>NightStar schrieb:
>>
>>> So for all those that have the V800, call your operator up and ask!
>>> :)
>>
>>Not so sure wether you are serious now (becuase of the simley)... of
>>course the caller id feature does not control wether the image is
>>displayed on the internal or the external screen.
>>If I were SE I'd say: The picture is displayed on the external screen,
>>it's just hidden under the text box that appears... :)
>
>Well - I don't have the damn phone so I can't be of more help... This
>is what I was given from Vodafone. Call them up and find out.
>
>And I put the smiley there because finally this might be resolved!?
>
> N*

Forgot to add - If this does work, someone please post a message here
so everyone else knows... Then again, post if it doesn't so we know
it's bogus info.

N*
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 3:50:27 AM

NightStar schrieb:

> Forgot to add - If this does work, someone please post a message here
> so everyone else knows... Then again, post if it doesn't so we know
> it's bogus info.

Well I'm pretty sure I can't call my operater and tell him he has to
send me the caller ID on the external screen(in fact, the phone DOES
show the caller ID (or the associated name, if there is one in the
phonebook), if you get the caller ID) on the external screen. It just
doesn't show a picture :)
And no, I don't think there is a possibility to configure the phone in a
way that makes the photo visible on the external screen. But I also
don't think that that's SO important. That screen isn't very big and the
photos wouldn't look that good anyway, I guess.
!