Sign in with
Your question

USB 2.0 to 1.1

Last response: in Networking
June 23, 2012 11:46:56 AM

Is there a way to change a 20 port to a 1.1 port, to establish a internet, DIALUP, connection with a Trendnet Model# TFM-561U fax modem? This computer is a new gateway 64Bit with windows 7 running IE9,(Gateway model# NV57H77u, 3GB DDR, 320GB HDD, all usb ports are 2.0, and wont recognise the modem for dialup. When I connected modem to my computer, 1.1 port, the dialup connection worked fine(but this computer is a 32BIT compac CQ-50 wm139 with widows 7 installed as upgrade running IE9, 2GB) I tryed to connect the compaq 2.0 port for connection and couldnt connect, the 2.0 ports recognise the device as a FAX unit and wont connect to the dialup it just gives me the dial sound and loud screech when num. is reached. I believe it has to be a 1.1 port to establish a connection because of the rate of transfer differance, between these two ports, dialup very slow.

More about : usb

June 23, 2012 12:19:47 PM

I've never seen a USB 2.0 port that wasn't backward compatible w/ USB 1.1 devices. It's designed to support either standard.

The rate of transfer shouldn't be negatively affected (more capacity is never going to be an issue). In fact, it's the devices themselves (the modems on each end) that control the transfer rates, not the underlying medium. So something else seems amiss there.

It may just be some incompatibility between that modem and Windows 7. Are you sure it's supported? Esp. since you moved it from a 32-bit environment to a 64-bit environment. That requires different drivers, and sometimes 64-bit drivers are flakey (although they've improved dramatically in recent years). Also, I would NOT rely on any drivers automatically installed by Windows 7. Go to the Trendnet website and install THEIR drivers. Sometimes Windows screws up and either installs old drivers, or perhaps not even the right drivers!
m
l
June 23, 2012 12:51:08 PM

I checked my drivers on the 32Bit compaq, and I have different Network Adapters, That was and still is my frst concern, But will try this and see what happens, Thank You, You guy's are great, I have cancer, so I am forced to find alternate methods of fixing computer(s) as my finacial situation is not good, THANK YOU FOR THIS SERVICE(no, not yelling, just old school)B back...
m
l
Related resources
June 25, 2012 10:52:17 PM

eibgrad said:
I've never seen a USB 2.0 port that wasn't backward compatible w/ USB 1.1 devices. It's designed to support either standard.

The rate of transfer shouldn't be negatively affected (more capacity is never going to be an issue). In fact, it's the devices themselves (the modems on each end) that control the transfer rates, not the underlying medium. So something else seems amiss there.

It may just be some incompatibility between that modem and Windows 7. Are you sure it's supported? Esp. since you moved it from a 32-bit environment to a 64-bit environment. That requires different drivers, and sometimes 64-bit drivers are flakey (although they've improved dramatically in recent years). Also, I would NOT rely on any drivers automatically installed by Windows 7. Go to the Trendnet website and install THEIR drivers. Sometimes Windows screws up and either installs old drivers, or perhaps not even the right drivers!

I went to there site, had broken link, took 2 days to get driver, but i finally got it and still no luck, Think maybe try the 32BIT driver? Thank You so much, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU'RE TIME AND EFFORT TO HELP ME, i'm half crazy from trying to connect...lol...It's just that she's been paying for internet since 3 mo's ago when her first tower was taken out by lightning....THANK YOU...YOU GUY'S ARE AWESOME..Bernie
m
l
June 25, 2012 10:54:26 PM

I have windows 7, but 32 bit... :bounce: 
m
l
June 25, 2012 11:22:42 PM

cant even get profile pic to upload, what file type?
m
l
July 9, 2012 5:51:00 PM

TNX, GUY'S...I GOT IT GOING,JUST HAD A BAD SETTING...IVE BEEN BUSY BUSY, BUSY...TNX TON...WHAT TYPE OF PIC CAN I USE FOR MY PROFILE? CANT GET IT TO UPLOAD...TNX..ILL B BACK..
m
l
!