So this is very strange to me. I've been using WiFi on my desktop for about a year to connect to my Verizon Fios router. Lately the WiFi has acted up, so I decided to buy a 25 foot Ethernet cable to hook straight into the router to give me some better speed and reliability.
While using wifi, I have been getting DL speeds of approximately 8 Mbps, and UL of 7 Mbps.
When I connected the Ethernet cable, my DL speeds jumped to 40 Mbps (awesome!), but my UL speed dropped to just 2 Mbps, and it seems to take much longer for the UL speed test to start (I'm using speedtest.net, by the way).
Anyone have an explanation as to why this might be? Corrupt cable? I pay for 35/35 Mbps DL/UL, so theoretically the two numbers should be the same.
no I dont think its a cable issue. I think its something in your operating system or drivers. before you start messing around with it try this test:
Boot off a LiveCD like Ubuntu 12.04 or Fedora 17. Then run your test again. I suspect you will get much better results.
I tried Ubuntu, but got the same results.
The 25 foot cable was a bit of a stretch, so I bought a new 35 foot cable, and paid a little extra for a Cat-6. The DL speeds are the same (about 40 Mbps), but the UL speeds improved some to about 10 Mbps, but its still below the 35 Mbps that I'm supposed to be getting.
I recently did a fresh install of Windows 7, so I thought it could be a driver issue. I went to the Dell website and downloaded the latest driver for my Ethernet port, but that didn't seem to help at all.
I guess I'm fine with 10 Mbps UL, but I'm still confused as to why the DL and UL speeds were the same on WiFi, but are so different on wired.