How to get Sirius into my home stereo through the cable TV

Last response: in Home Audio
June 22, 2005 11:21:04 AM

Recently got a Starmate for my car and I love the satellite service.
Discovered that I can also get audio over the internet. Thinking about
how to patch this in to my home stereo.

Split the cable line between the TV and a cable modem, cable modem to
computer, computer audio card output to stereo. A little bulky but it
should work. But what about the video? Once the computer fires up I
need to see its display on the TV so I can pick a station. Is there a
way to get video from computer onto TV screen?

Is there an easier way to approach this problem?

Thanks - JJ
June 22, 2005 2:03:33 PM

On 6/22/2005 9:21 AM, jjolly972@comcast.net wrote:
> Recently got a Starmate for my car and I love the satellite service.
> Discovered that I can also get audio over the internet. Thinking about
> how to patch this in to my home stereo.
>
> Split the cable line between the TV and a cable modem, cable modem to
> computer, computer audio card output to stereo. A little bulky but it
> should work. But what about the video? Once the computer fires up I
> need to see its display on the TV so I can pick a station. Is there a
> way to get video from computer onto TV screen?
>
> Is there an easier way to approach this problem?
>
> Thanks - JJ

If you are talking about streaming Internet radio to your stereo than
look at something like a Squeeze Box 2 by www.slimdevices.com
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:50:38 AM

Not really an audio technology question, but here's a fast answer:

>> should work. But what about the video? Once the computer fires up I
>> need to see its display on the TV so I can pick a station. Is there a
>> way to get video from computer onto TV screen?

Either get a card which has TV-video out, or get a scan-rate converter
(many on the market, of varying quality) which accepts computer video in
and produces TV video out. The former's likely to give you better video
quality, but either way TVs make lousy computer monitors; plan on
running the screen at relatively low resolution.

>> Is there an easier way to approach this problem?

My solution was to dedicate a leftover/slow computer to the stereo
system, and use a remote desktop control tool to let me operate it
remotely from the faster machine in my office or from my laptop. Since
I'm using wireless networking, I don't have to run network cables and
the laptop can control the "audio server" from anywhere in the house.
Next step, when time and budget permit, will be to put an IR blaster on
the audio server machine so I can also remotely control the tuner
through this virtual console rather than having to run IR repeaters
everywhere.

A good home-automation catalog will have useful info on some of this.
June 23, 2005 3:01:16 PM

jjolly972@comcast.net wrote:
> Recently got a Starmate for my car and I love the
satellite service.
> Discovered that I can also get audio over the internet.
Thinking
> about how to patch this in to my home stereo.
>
> Split the cable line between the TV and a cable modem,
cable modem to
> computer, computer audio card output to stereo. A little
bulky but it
> should work. But what about the video? Once the computer
fires up I
> need to see its display on the TV so I can pick a station.
Is there a
> way to get video from computer onto TV screen?

One easy way is to use a PC to TV scan rate converter. Tiger
Direct has a number of them on their web site.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/catego...
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:55:05 AM

I have it hooked up. Yes - the video looks like garbage but barely
readable. If I go further with this I'll look at the scan rate
converter.

The sound has a slight "ringing" to it - do I need a better audio card
or is this an artifact of internet music in general?

JJ
!