Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PS Audio: Tweakos since when?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 6:59:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

So I've been considering picking up a PS Audio preamp (4.5 or 4.6, something
in that age range) on eBay or Audiogon lately. I liked their stuff, I
liked their designs, and they always seemed a rational company.

Now I go to their website, to see what they've been up to lately. Lots of
nice looking stuff, some nifty new technology, and...

Lots of tweako cables. POWER cables! "Audiophile quality" power receptacles!
Hell, I was almost surprised that they didn't sell wire degaussing CDs.

Question is, when did they go this way? I don't remember them being a
pile of fruitloops 'back when,' but I could be mistaken. If so, it certainly
casts doubt on their older gear (and also does on their new gear, at any
rate).

Colin

More about : audio tweakos

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 3:53:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Colin B. wrote:
> So I've been considering picking up a PS Audio preamp (4.5 or 4.6,
> something in that age range) on eBay or Audiogon lately. I liked
> their stuff, I
> liked their designs, and they always seemed a rational company.
>
> Now I go to their website, to see what they've been up to lately.
> Lots of nice looking stuff, some nifty new technology, and...
>
> Lots of tweako cables. POWER cables! "Audiophile quality" power
> receptacles! Hell, I was almost surprised that they didn't sell wire
> degaussing CDs.
>
> Question is, when did they go this way? I don't remember them being a
> pile of fruitloops 'back when,' but I could be mistaken. If so, it
> certainly casts doubt on their older gear (and also does on their new
> gear, at any rate).
>
> Colin



I think PS Audio went out of business. Someone probably bought the name.


Mark Z.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 9:01:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:53:48 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias"
<spammenot@nonsense.net> wrote:

>I think PS Audio went out of business. Someone probably bought the name.

The original PS Audio - named after Paul McGowan and Stan Waren (later of
Superphon and Supermods) - was created in 1973 and went down in 1999. Warren
bought back the brand a while later and relaunched it.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 6:21:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Fran?ois Yves Le Gal <flegal@aingeal.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:53:48 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias"
> <spammenot@nonsense.net> wrote:
>
>>I think PS Audio went out of business. Someone probably bought the name.
>
> The original PS Audio - named after Paul McGowan and Stan Waren (later of
> Superphon and Supermods) - was created in 1973 and went down in 1999. Warren
> bought back the brand a while later and relaunched it.

Hmm. I've since done some reading, and it looks like it was Paul McGowan
who bought the name out of bankruptcy. He's since become completely obsessive
with power regulation, to the detriment of actual science--it's Paul that's
taken the company into a tweaker's paradise.

Stan Warren, on the other hand, appears to have run into a lot of trouble
with Supermods (most notably not doing the work and not returning the
equipment), and is now...doing stuff.

Pity to see this company and these guys fallen so far, and all of their
own accord.

Colin
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 12:42:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 02:21:00 GMT, "Colin B."
<cbigam@somewhereelse.nucleus.com> wrote:

>> The original PS Audio - named after Paul McGowan and Stan Waren (later of
>> Superphon and Supermods) - was created in 1973 and went down in 1999. Warren
>> bought back the brand a while later and relaunched it.
>
>Hmm. I've since done some reading, and it looks like it was Paul McGowan
>who bought the name out of bankruptcy.

Ooops, my mistake. Of course Paul McGowan, not Stan Warren, has bought the
brand. Thank you for pointing this error.

..
!