10Mhz8086

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
I'm still using my old 16-bit ISA CT SB 16 Vibra Pnp card. Should I upgrade to something newer? I imagine sound quality would be better but would also a newer card use less CPU?

I have a PIII800 and Windows XP.

Who ever made up the phrase, "If it aint broke why fix it" just didn't get it...

It really depends on what you do with your computer upgrading your sound card will definitely be an improvement over what you're running if you're a gamer or audiophile, you've been seriously missing out on performance, and the ability to move up to something like 5.1 surround sound speakers, with the card you have you can't run those things. However unless you've actually heard the quality from the higher end cards with a really good set of speakers you really don't know what you're missing.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, the sound quality won't be a LOT better, but it would have such features as 3D sound and Dolby 5.1. You would need a really good set of speakers to hear the wider dynamic range. And those old SB16/SB32 cards didn't make much noise. A new card would also INCREASE CPU load, because your old card is almost 100% hardware controlled, while new cards use software for many of their fuctions.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

10Mhz8086

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
I mainly use my PC for games (CS, UT, Empire Earth, Oni various Racing games, Etc) and doing homework. When it comes to music I just burn stuff from it and play it on my sterio, I don't really play any MP3s on it (waste of elect. if you ask me).

So upgrading would acutally tax my CPU more? If thats the case then I'm sticking to my acient sound card. I recieved a set of Creative 5.1 5300 Insprire speakers and I was thinking of pickup a OEM SB Audigy. Pricewatch has a few that are in my pricerange.

Bah, I'll give up quality and features for speed...

Who ever made up the phrase, "If it aint broke why fix it" just didn't get it...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, those old cards had a minimal tax on the CPU, in fact they would work fine on a 386, whereas the Live for instance has a high system requirement, like a Pentium II or higher i think.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Bottom line, you got two choices, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or Audigy. Pick one, be happy.

My personal favorite and recommened is the TBSC. But some people will swear by audigy till they die...pick one, be happy.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
well okay, i mean assuming he's going to upgrade, those are his options. I kinda figured he was posting because he WAS going to upgrade. Its no problem to run a live, audigy, or TBSC on a p3 800. I ran my live on my p2 400 for over a year just fine. IT played games great and sounded great. The newer audigy and tbsc use less processing power than the live did. I'd defnitely upgrade if i were him. I think upgrading is the best choice in this case.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

10Mhz8086

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
My main concern was system performance. I'm ok with the quality of the output, my freind has a Audigy and I can tell is has a better S/N. But I'm not that concered with quality, I don't sit on it for hours and listen to music. Nor do I need my bullets and gun fire to sound better to help me play better :)

I figured since PCI was better than ISA that I would have gained some performance. But if my hardware based sound card uses less PC cycles, them I'm sticking to it. TIA

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Not sure i get what your saying either....

I do know this, An audigy will run fine on your system...