Sign in with
Your question

Cordless Mouse and Gaming

Last response: in Components
June 9, 2002 6:18:42 AM

Anyone know if a cordless mouse is a good investment for a gamer? In other words, do they work as well as a "real" mouse?

goldarn the pusherman

More about : cordless mouse gaming

June 9, 2002 10:21:10 PM

bad idea... they are imprecise and in my experience tend to jump randomly at times I recommend you avoid it and get a good optical mouse instead

lagger

<font color=red><b> Signature removed for your sanitary protection</font color=red></b>
June 10, 2002 12:52:24 AM

I have a 2 month old Microsoft Wireless Intelimouse Explorer optical. I notice no lags or jumps
in games only problem is the wheel does lag sometimes but the mouse actions and buttons all work
just as well as the corded version. I use rechargable batteries also.

<font color=green><b>Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened! :eek: 
Related resources
June 11, 2002 5:27:03 PM

i've got the cordeless optical mouseman from logitec. no problems, too. absolutely precise if you take the right mousepad (uni-colored, light).

<b><font color=blue>GzG, Nerun</font color=blue></b>
The more i ask in here, the more puzzled i get ...
June 12, 2002 4:00:35 AM

I agree. The lighter the mouse pad, the longer the batteries last also.

<b><font color=blue>The shortest distance between two points is under construction. :lol: 
June 12, 2002 7:11:28 AM

How long does the battery last?
June 12, 2002 6:20:48 PM

Depends on the mouse. My Logitech lasted about 3-4 months, the Intel ones only last about a week (they kick ass, though).

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
June 13, 2002 2:36:18 AM

Yep. I get the battery warning after about 8 days letting me know it will last about another week.
I use rechargeable batteries so it's no big deal.

<b><font color=blue>The shortest distance between two points is under construction. :lol: 
June 14, 2002 8:25:14 AM

I've been using a cordless non-optical mouse for a couple years now, and it skips around sometimes like the other guy said (doesn't update very fast). I would recommend a corded one over a wireless one, maybe a USB one as long as your mobo has legacy USB support. It needs to have legacy USB support if you hope to use it in DOS. I recommend corded because usually they can be overclocked, especially the USB ones. In FPS games I notice this has an effect. If you don't play 3D games with high framerates a lot then you can do well with wireless. But if you play 3D games that get 75fps then you may want a corded one. The effect may not be noticeable by some but a mouse at 40Hz is going to be slightly more sluggish than a mouse at 80Hz.

But don't base your decision on that alone. Remember the freedom that wireless gives you: no cords. Although I found that having no cords wasn't really that big of a deal, you may find it to be important. Finally there is another point to take into consideration, although this is more an issue about being conservative. If you have a large monitor and high quality speakers you may not want a cordless mouse simply because it will keep adding to the interference around your computer. With so much magnetic and RF and infrared interference huge magnetic fields are formed and static starts to accumulate. High quality PC speakers, for instance, have been known to damage some monitors, although it is rare.

Censorship makes us so much more creative.
June 20, 2002 6:41:49 AM

Wow! It's a wonder mine even works.

June 20, 2002 11:44:53 AM

I know I'm being critical but we're talking about gaming here. In windows (clicking around, typing) cordless mice are so much better.

Censorship makes us so much more creative.
June 20, 2002 11:54:53 PM

OK thanks for all the feedback.I too have been wondering if cordless is that much of a boon. I mean, I like the thought of cordless (i'd like computers to be completely cordless!), but the mouse cord really doesnt bug me much. In addition, I should have clarified this b4, my gaming consists about 75% of FPS. SO I will prolly stick with corded, but go optical. I have heard good things about the Logitech Dual Optical and the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. Any preferences out there??? Thanks again

goldarn the pusherman
June 21, 2002 2:49:55 AM

I've had my Logitech cordless kb/mouse for about 4 years. I haven't noticed any negative affects with regard to gaming. In fact, I'll kick your butt in MOHAA. :smile: The only drawback with the non-optical version is the smegma build up. Every couple of months I have to take it apart and clean it. If I were you, I would get the cordless optical. IMHO, the cord can get in the way and be a hinderance while gaming.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
June 21, 2002 6:27:44 AM

Well this can't actually be proven in a lab, but I believe the corded ones allow you to use 'twitch' skills better, which are important for competitive FPS gaming. Ever since I got my cordless one (which is exactly the same model as yours by the way, came with a keyboard I'm typing on right now) I haven't been able to do as well in FPS games. But I want to admit first before I say anything else that I could be wrong. Like I was saying, this has to be tested in a lab. But before I got my cordless, with my old corded one I used to get amazing records in counter-strike beta 5, like 20/4. FPS games are all about twitch skills, killing using violent, quick motions of the mouse and really just getting quite lucky. If you're serious about competing in FPS games online you won't get cordless in my opinion. And the final straw that breaks the camel's back in this corded/cordless battle I think is the fact that there isn't as much of a difference in freedom of movement between corded and cordless. Most people who use both report that they don't notice it a whole lot.

Addendum: I forgot to answer your question about the intellimouse 3.0. I myself have never considered getting one of these. Part of it is that I don't like the shape of the mouse. All Microsoft mice are designed to fit both left and right handed people whereas I like the logitech ones which fit right handed people only b/c I'm right handed. Another is the fact that Microsoft is a big monopoly and I wouldn't want to do any business with them.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cakecake on 06/21/02 02:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 21, 2002 4:30:12 PM

There is a huge number of people debating the Logitech dual vs. the MS v3. I always say to try them both and take whichever is most comfortable. For me, that's the v3.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
June 21, 2002 6:20:03 PM

Quote:
I haven't been able to do as well in FPS games.

Maybe you're getting old and your reflexes aren't as fast as they once were. :smile:

I won't argue your point. It is entirely possible that there could be some latency between mouse movements and actual game performance. It hasn't seemed to affect my abilities in FPS's. Maybe I could be better with a corded mouse? Nah. :smile:

June 21, 2002 6:28:09 PM

Not only latency issues, but also the cord itself helps to balance the aim. Without the cord when we make quick movements with adrenaline pumping through our system it's easy for us to overaim or "overshoot" our target because the mouse gives us too much freedom. I wrote about this in another post. Anyway, I think it's something that should be looked into in more detail, and if you say that cordless works well for you I believe you 100%. To some extent, it has a lot to do with personal choice, shape of your hands, and position of your chair, so it's really debatable whether or not my arguments are valid. The latency issue, however, is probably the biggest thing that bothers me, and that can be proven, which is why I suggest corded mice.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!
June 21, 2002 6:57:57 PM

Quote:
Without the cord when we make quick movements with adrenaline pumping through our system it's easy for us to overaim or "overshoot" our target because the mouse gives us too much freedom.

It might be the case that I'm just used to it. Swinging a golf club is the most unnatural thing a person can do, but if you don't swing properly you're going to stink at golf.

Quote:
The latency issue, however, is probably the biggest thing that bothers me, and that can be proven, which is why I suggest corded mice.

It would be nice to see a comparison between corded and cordless mice.

!