Sign in with
Your question
Solved

RT-N65U portforwarding (Virgin Media)

Last response: in Networking
June 24, 2012 10:42:25 PM

Hello. I've been trying to port forward and I believe I have done so correctly but it doesn't seem to open it. In the DHCP settings I've allocated my MAC to an IPv4 so I have a static local IP to make sure port forwarding always works so that's not the issue.
I've opened it on both TCP and UDP because that's what I need. I tried a few random different ports so I don't think it's conflicting that's stopping it from working. I have UPnP enabled on my router.

I looked at another thread regarding port forwarding and I tried netstat -a, finding the ports are being listened for on the IP 0.0.0.0 . I have no idea what it could mean, haha.
I can't seem to figure out why it's still closed; I'm not very knowledgeable with routers and networking so If anyone has any ideas it'd be nice if they could be explained so I can understand the problem :) 

I used http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to test the port.
One more thing: my firmware is 1.0.0.9 on the router.

Thanks.

Best solution

June 24, 2012 11:16:42 PM

Since we can't see how you’ve configured the port forward, it's a bit difficult to know if you simply made a typo, got it misconfigured, etc. It's not even clear which ports are being forwarded. It could matter because ISPs often block certain ports, both for security reasons, and to prevent home users from establishing business services w/o a business level account (e.g., a webserver on port 80).

As far as netstat, that's only relevant to the server machine. It doesn't tell us if the request actually makes it past the router's firewall first. I'd be more interested if the server machine was running a local firewall (if so, disable it for now), and whether this server is verified as reachable within the local LAN (as opposed to remotely).

And make sure you actually test this from OUTSIDE your network, not INSIDE. Not all routers support "loopback" requests. Sometimes even when they do, it won't work w/ certain protocols (e.g., PPTP on port 1723).
June 24, 2012 11:41:06 PM

Thanks for the reply, here's how I've done it

I don't think 6666 is a major port used for anything so that's why I chose it. I've allowed 6666 inbound on UDP and TCP on windows firewall (or should I just disable it?) and I can connect to it via the the local IP and port with my laptop. I'll try and get a friend to test it externally as soon as possible. It's a dedicated game server and I don't no any other ways to test it than get people to try and connect, which usually isn't an issue.
So it doesn't seem to be my software firewall that's the problem.
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2012 11:51:49 PM

Friend couldn't connect, still having external problems.
m
l
June 24, 2012 11:53:24 PM

One thing I did notice, the check box to the far right of the port forward is NOT checked, which probably means it's DISABLED!
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:01:56 AM

I wish haha, It's just to select for deletion unfortunately. I tried doing that though.
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:10:39 AM

Hmm, I'm a little surprised at that, because that means to temporarily disable it requires deletion. That's dumb.
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:15:37 AM

Yeah. I think I'll try upgrading the firmware tomorrow, see if I can get it working with a little fiddling around like that. It's quite strange that it won't forward. Thanks for the help, it was useful
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:24:51 AM

Or else install dd-wrt or tomato (third party firmware). Much better firmware imo, just as long as your router supports it. From the screen dump, it appears to be an ASUS of some kind, which are often supported by dd-wrt and/or tomato.

UPDATE: Just checked the dd-wrt database, no support for the RT-N56U, too bad.
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:26:48 AM

Ah, cool. Sounds good, thanks for that - I didn't know you could get 3rd party router firmware :)  And yes it is an ASUS.
EDIT: Sadly those firmwares aren't compatible, I'd rather be safe and stick with the ASUS firmware anyway.
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:51:10 AM

Best answer selected by Koi0.
m
l
!