Best PC to TV solutions

tomsfna

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Hey guys,

So I was wondering what the consensus was for this type of situation I am in.

Before I moved, I was running an HDMI wire from my desktop to my computer, and using the TV as a second monitor. Now I've moved and can't do that, and I also would like some additional functionality

The HDMI solution worked perfectly when it came to the actual use. I basically want to be able to access all my files and using something like XBMC with the HDMI cable showing my desktop was a great way for me to watch movies from my hard drive or Hulu.

I was looking for 2 changes from the solution I had before and was wondering if you could help:

1) Instead of having monitor 1(computer) and monitor 2(tv), is there any chance I can do monitor 1&2(computer monitors) with something like monitor 2 also mirroring to the TV? Before I basically lost the use of my 2nd monitor because of the TV being in use often. If I could just mirror it then I wouldn't have to worry about switching things around

2) I want it to be wireless.

That's it! What are you guys current favorite solutions?

tomsfna

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Well I actually already have the TV portion, but will eventually be getting another TV which means I may need to watch compatibility of this solution.

For this one I guess I'm mainly wanting to hear the opinions of the many different wireless HDMI or wifi type options.

tomsfna

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Hey guys,

Giving a bump here.

It seems like to me some solutions are available like Warpia and things like that. Anyone tried any of these WITHOUT having line of sight? I have an open air type loft, but the computer and TV are in different rooms.

tomsfna

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Hey guys,

Giving a bump here.

It seems like to me some solutions are available like Warpia and things like that. Anyone tried any of these WITHOUT having line of sight? I have an open air type loft, but the computer and TV are in different rooms.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
If I understand correctly you want to connect your PC to the TV via HDMI to watch stuff from your PC on the TV?
If that's the case you can do the same with a wireless media center device, it will access all your content via wireless in the other room.
If you want to transfer the HDMI over a wireless signal to the other room then you will need a HDMI over ethernet adapter kit.
This can be done but just keep in mind that to transfer HD quality over wireless will need at least an 802.11n connection with a good signal.

tomsfna

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Hey so I actually solved this myself but kind of what you are talking about

IMO, the best way to solve this is now with the Roku. It has Plex now which lets me stream my media from my computer to the Roku, along with the obvious Netflix+Hulu+Amazon, etc.

So no HDMI, it is wireless, and doesn't require a line-of-sight wireless HDMI type solution.

$50!