Home Networking advice

Codhein

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
Where would I go online to learn everything I needed to know about how to set up a fast, reliable home network connecting 5 PC's (2 98ME, 3 98SE platforms) through a router/hub with printer, scanner and a cable modem on a $500 budget? If someone wants to save me time and just tell me what to do/buy, you have my rapt attention, as well as abundant gratitude. ;)

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Might want to take a look at the <A HREF="http://www.egghead.com/ShowPage.dll?page=prod_page_p&ItemEDP=51197" target="_new">SMC Barricade 7008 Cable/DSL router.</A> In addition to 7 10/100 ports it has a printer port. Other than that you just have to measure your distance requirements to wire up all the PC's and buy enough UTP Cat5 cable (networking cable) to make all the runs.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
networking the 5 pc's is easy, you mention a "router/hub" will you just be using a hub? or will you be using a router - for exampple to share a 'net connection? also the scanner may cause a problem, I've never ever come accross a shared scanner.
<A HREF="http://www.helmig.com" target="_new">http://www.helmig.com</A> has a lot of good info on networking, have a read then post back if you get stuck/dont understand/have more questions.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Oh, I forgot one thing. You'll also need 5 NIC's (Tom just did a review of some of them) <A HREF="http://www.egghead.com/ShowPage.dll?page=cat_type_ceos&Category=NENI" target="_new">Here are a few</A> IMHO anything in the $15 range will be fine.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi, in regards to shared scanner, I have a refurbished Canon Canoscan #N650U that I got for 59 USD at Fry's. There is no seperate power cable, it uses the 5v off the USB connection for power. It is rated at the 600X1200 resolution.
The scanner works impeccably, you just plug in the USB connection to the computer and push the button on the scanner, and a small menu asks you if you want to save, copy or some other stuff. That is it, plug one USB cable in, and push the button, make one selection, and presto! you are done.
Of course, there is software to install on each puter you want to use it on, but it isn't too hard to do.
One of the best products I have seen in a while. And it works quietly too.
BTW, it is light and about 1" thick, in fact, I don't know why it isn't advertised as a portable scanner for use with a laptop with USB connection.
Good Luck, Take-Out.

The early bird gets the worm. The early worm gets the bird.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Take_Out on 08/22/01 04:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You could get good network cards like LinkSys or Netgears for <$30.00/card. Netgear RT314 will run you about $100.00. Note this router does not have a printer port! If you find a comparable router to the RT314 w/ a printer port (like the one mentioned...Barricade) it would be worth investigating. I'm not sure what cabling costs. Oh one more thing. The RT314 is a 4-port hub, so you would be 1 port short unless you already have a hub. If you have a hub with an UPLINK port then you could simply connect the router to the hub. So far then:

10/100 Ethercards: ~$150.00 (You should be able to get cards for around $20.00, but I'd go with name brands)
RT314 router: ~100.00

TOTAL: $250.00 This obviously leaves plenty of room for CAT5 cabling...

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Note, I just looked at Jlanka's link. That Barricuda looks sweet, but does cost about $80.00 more...

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I think you're comparing apples and oranges. The Barricuda I linked to is the 8 port version because you said you needed 5 ports. It comes in a 4 port version as well, which would be much more in line with all the other ones. If you already have a hub or switch or something, then definitely go with the 4 to save a few bucks.