my sound card is too old

mfud

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
hi

i have an old sound card that i would like to change.
im not a musician but im nevertheless a music lover.
i need so a high quality sound card.
at this time my old card is plugged in my hifi but i would like also to buy suitable speakers for my new sound card.

thanks for help and comments.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Okay, i got 2 points from that.
1. You will use it primarily for music.
2. You have no idea what you want.

Okay, you want high quality, but you probably don't want to spend a fortune.

For 70 bucks, the turtle beach santa cruz is the best consumer sound card for music currently available, hands down the best. If you want to spend more than that though you can get a professional quality card for 230-300 bucks. Look in Tomshardware's sound card section for a comparison of the top professional sound cards.

For speakers, once again, you would do fine a set of the current Klipsh pro-media speakers, 2.1 will work find for music and come at a reasonable price. You can get a 5.1 set of the same speakers but its alot more costly. If you want closer to audiophile quality you should look into getting a set of Sirroco pro or Sirroco Spirit speakers to hook up to your pc. Both are very high quality speaker sets and are quite popular picks for the computer amoung entry level audiophiles.

Good luck man, personally, just for music, i'd recommend a turtle beach santa cruz soundcard and a Klipsh pro media 2.1 speaker set. There's alot of good reviews on these things in Tom's sound section.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is not the best consumer sound card for music. I listen to both Santa Cruz and Philip Acoustic Edge before I brought my sound card. For music Acoustic Edge is definitely better.

I also think 5.1 system sounds better than 2.1 system.

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
For 70 bucks, the turtle beach santa cruz is the best consumer sound card for music currently available, hands down the best.
Another opinion William? Lol, do you have links to support this statement? The Audigy OEM is less than $70 and rules for MIDI (supports SoundFonts 2.1 and DLS). It also has good DACs for excellent musical clarity (for amateurs like us), allowing the inferior quality of MP3s to be heard easily on good speakers. How, in your opinion, is the Santa Cruz "hands down" the best music soundcard for $70?

Ritesh

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Never seen you offer a links, Ritesh. Nuff said. You've read everyone's oppinions here, and I've never seen any posts from you other than ones tearing other peoples posts apart, If you don't want to be widely hated, try actually posting some usefully information. I've said many times why i think the Santa Cruz/GTXP are hands down the best consumer cards for music and a very good pick right up there with the audigy for gaming. For gaming it depends on yer taste, for music, i honestly feel the SC/GTXP are hands down the best.

That said, i had read in at least two reviews, one of which was on 3dsoundsurge that the Acoustic Edge was only extremely slightly better than the Santa Cruz in sound quality and most people don't have the hearing to detect any difference. So, i'm kinda surprised so hear it mentioned as being significantly better. I havn't listened to that one myself so i couldn't comment for sure. As an all around sound card though i am definitely under the impression that the SC is a better all around card to buy. Those two things combined would definitely cause me to prefer the SC over the AE. I'm open to being proven wrong, but i like my GTXP too much to trade it in on an AE just to try it.

My reason for choosing GTXP or SC over the Audigy is from personal experience. I'm much more satisfied with them than the audigy as an all around sound card. I do pretty much equal amounts of gaming and music listening and i definitely prefer the sound i get now over what i got from the audigy. I've said that before, so people shouldn't be demanding damned links from me. Its personal experience, reviewers generally write an article with tons of links to back up their impressions. I consider the SC the hands down winner from personal experience.

Have you even tried a Santa Cruz or GTXP Ritesh? No? didnt think so. They call people who swear up and down their stuff is better than the other guy's a "fanboy".

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

FatBurger

Illustrious
And when is the last time you listened to MIDI just for the sake of listening to it? (He didn't say he makes music in any form, just listens to it)

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
And when is the last time you listened to MIDI just for the sake of listening to it?
I don't create MIDI, I just play games. A few older games like Final Fantasy 7 and 8 only support MIDI and sound noticeably better when using high quality samples. I think Drakan did too. Today most games use MP3s or CD tracks to play music, but MIDI is still the most flexible format because it takes up so little space and can hence be used very dynamically in a game depending on the situation. The downside, of course, is that MIDI sounds different on different sound cards.

Since Microsoft is still pushing DirectMusic (MIDI using standard samples that come with the game), it's still useful IMO to have good MIDI capabilities.

Ritesh