10 100 to gigabit

sblack162

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Hello,
Can I simply change a 10/100 ethernet card for a gigabit card? Will my system recognize and be able to use a gigabit adapter? My system is an 8 yr old Gateway with a D915GAG motherboard running XP with 2 GB ram.
I am currently using a DLink 4100dgl router which seems to be running fine, but I would like a faster, wireless router and would like to upgrade to a gigabit ethernet card.
Any reason why I can't do this? Any advice?

Solution
Just insure that the gigabit card you buy has XP drivers available. That is a good router, you could just add an inexpensive router configured as an access point to get wireless on whichever band you want, although something like a DIR-655 is pretty cheap and has gigabit wired and N wireless which would make the 4100 redundant.

RealBeast

Titan
Just insure that the gigabit card you buy has XP drivers available. That is a good router, you could just add an inexpensive router configured as an access point to get wireless on whichever band you want, although something like a DIR-655 is pretty cheap and has gigabit wired and N wireless which would make the 4100 redundant.

Solution