Looking for small flip 3G phone

Last response: in Brands
Share
December 14, 2004 4:38:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

My operator just rolled out UMTS (WCDMA)... I'd love to switch but can't
find a phone that suits my needs. Currently have SE Z600 which I find too
bulky. So far I fancied Motorola V3, but it lacks WCDMA. The only other
option seems SE V800, but again it seems too bulky, plus I gather it's not
available outside Vodafone networks. Are there any WCDMA flip phones out
there that are really lightweight and small, and support tri-band GSM, and
have Bluetooth? I don't care about megapixel camera (or any camera for that
matter), and screen size.

Plan B is to go for a lightweight tri-band GSM + EDGE + Bluetooth flip phone
model as it will provide me significant boost over current GPRS speeds...
yet again I can't seem to find any.

Any suggestions?

Peter

More about : small flip phone

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 7:36:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <3281pqF3gs6akU1@individual.net> on Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:38:06 +0200,
"Peter" <peter@greatnowhere.com> wrote:

>Plan B is to go for a lightweight tri-band GSM + EDGE + Bluetooth flip phone
>model as it will provide me significant boost over current GPRS speeds...
>yet again I can't seem to find any.
>
>Any suggestions?

Motorola V551

December 15, 2004 12:21:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

> >Plan B is to go for a lightweight tri-band GSM + EDGE + Bluetooth flip
phone
> >model as it will provide me significant boost over current GPRS speeds...
> >yet again I can't seem to find any.
> >
> >Any suggestions?
>
> Motorola V551

Good one. Still a bit on bulky side, but at least it's smaller than SE Z600.
But nobody has V551 available this side of pond... Europe that is. Oh well,
I guess I'll have to wait.

Peter
December 15, 2004 12:21:28 PM

In <32a8dvF3k7plpU1@individual.net> on Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:21:27 +0200,
"Peter" <peter@greatnowhere.com> wrote:

>> >Plan B is to go for a lightweight tri-band GSM + EDGE + Bluetooth flip phone
>> >model as it will provide me significant boost over current GPRS speeds...
>> >yet again I can't seem to find any.
>> >
>> >Any suggestions?
>>
>> Motorola V551
>
>Good one. Still a bit on bulky side, but at least it's smaller than SE Z600.
>But nobody has V551 available this side of pond... Europe that is. Oh well,
>I guess I'll have to wait.

Had you actually held a V551 (as I have) you would know that it's actually
quite petite. ;-)

December 16, 2004 10:51:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

> >> Motorola V551
> >
> >Good one. Still a bit on bulky side, but at least it's smaller than SE
Z600.
> >But nobody has V551 available this side of pond... Europe that is. Oh
well,
> >I guess I'll have to wait.
>
> Had you actually held a V551 (as I have) you would know that it's actually
> quite petite. ;-)

OK, how about data connectivity and Outlook sync issues? I've been reading
user reviews on V3, and most say GPRS dialup doesnt work, and you need
specific third-party software to make Outlook sync a reality. V551 is the
same platform as V3, right?

Peter
December 16, 2004 11:06:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

> > Had you actually held a V551 (as I have) you would know that it's
actually
> > quite petite. ;-)

On another note... can one possibly buy unlocked V551? Via mail order, of
course.

Peter
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 7:23:04 PM

In <32cmrjF3jbu92U2@individual.net> on Thu, 16 Dec 2004 07:51:17 +0200,
"Peter" <peter@greatnowhere.com> wrote:

>> Had you actually held a V551 (as I have) you would know that it's actually
>> quite petite. ;-)
>
>OK, how about data connectivity

CSD, GPRS, and EDGE. Also Bluetooth.

>and Outlook sync issues?

Motorola PhoneTools.

>I've been reading
>user reviews on V3, and most say GPRS dialup doesnt work,

Nonsense.

>and you need
>specific third-party software to make Outlook sync a reality. V551 is the
>same platform as V3, right?

So I understand.

December 17, 2004 6:25:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:06:12 +0200, "Peter" <peter@greatnowhere.com>
said in alt.cellular.motorola:

>On another note... can one possibly buy unlocked V551? Via mail order, of
>course.

Every V551 I've activated has been unlocked. I just put my T-Mobile
SIM into my wife's V551 and it worked fine.
!