Looking for small flip 3G phone

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

My operator just rolled out UMTS (WCDMA)... I'd love to switch but can't
find a phone that suits my needs. Currently have SE Z600 which I find too
bulky. So far I fancied Motorola V3, but it lacks WCDMA. The only other
option seems SE V800, but again it seems too bulky, plus I gather it's not
available outside Vodafone networks. Are there any WCDMA flip phones out
there that are really lightweight and small, and support tri-band GSM, and
have Bluetooth? I don't care about megapixel camera (or any camera for that
matter), and screen size.

Plan B is to go for a lightweight tri-band GSM + EDGE + Bluetooth flip phone
model as it will provide me significant boost over current GPRS speeds...
yet again I can't seem to find any.

Any suggestions?

Peter
7 answers Last reply
More about looking small flip phone
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <3281pqF3gs6akU1@individual.net> on Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:38:06 +0200,
    "Peter" <peter@greatnowhere.com> wrote:

    >Plan B is to go for a lightweight tri-band GSM + EDGE + Bluetooth flip phone
    >model as it will provide me significant boost over current GPRS speeds...
    >yet again I can't seem to find any.
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    Motorola V551

  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    > >Plan B is to go for a lightweight tri-band GSM + EDGE + Bluetooth flip
    phone
    > >model as it will provide me significant boost over current GPRS speeds...
    > >yet again I can't seem to find any.
    > >
    > >Any suggestions?
    >
    > Motorola V551

    Good one. Still a bit on bulky side, but at least it's smaller than SE Z600.
    But nobody has V551 available this side of pond... Europe that is. Oh well,
    I guess I'll have to wait.

    Peter
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <32a8dvF3k7plpU1@individual.net> on Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:21:27 +0200,
    "Peter" <peter@greatnowhere.com> wrote:

    >> >Plan B is to go for a lightweight tri-band GSM + EDGE + Bluetooth flip phone
    >> >model as it will provide me significant boost over current GPRS speeds...
    >> >yet again I can't seem to find any.
    >> >
    >> >Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Motorola V551
    >
    >Good one. Still a bit on bulky side, but at least it's smaller than SE Z600.
    >But nobody has V551 available this side of pond... Europe that is. Oh well,
    >I guess I'll have to wait.

    Had you actually held a V551 (as I have) you would know that it's actually
    quite petite. ;-)

  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    > >> Motorola V551
    > >
    > >Good one. Still a bit on bulky side, but at least it's smaller than SE
    Z600.
    > >But nobody has V551 available this side of pond... Europe that is. Oh
    well,
    > >I guess I'll have to wait.
    >
    > Had you actually held a V551 (as I have) you would know that it's actually
    > quite petite. ;-)

    OK, how about data connectivity and Outlook sync issues? I've been reading
    user reviews on V3, and most say GPRS dialup doesnt work, and you need
    specific third-party software to make Outlook sync a reality. V551 is the
    same platform as V3, right?

    Peter
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    > > Had you actually held a V551 (as I have) you would know that it's
    actually
    > > quite petite. ;-)

    On another note... can one possibly buy unlocked V551? Via mail order, of
    course.

    Peter
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <32cmrjF3jbu92U2@individual.net> on Thu, 16 Dec 2004 07:51:17 +0200,
    "Peter" <peter@greatnowhere.com> wrote:

    >> Had you actually held a V551 (as I have) you would know that it's actually
    >> quite petite. ;-)
    >
    >OK, how about data connectivity

    CSD, GPRS, and EDGE. Also Bluetooth.

    >and Outlook sync issues?

    Motorola PhoneTools.

    >I've been reading
    >user reviews on V3, and most say GPRS dialup doesnt work,

    Nonsense.

    >and you need
    >specific third-party software to make Outlook sync a reality. V551 is the
    >same platform as V3, right?

    So I understand.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:06:12 +0200, "Peter" <peter@greatnowhere.com>
    said in alt.cellular.motorola:

    >On another note... can one possibly buy unlocked V551? Via mail order, of
    >course.

    Every V551 I've activated has been unlocked. I just put my T-Mobile
    SIM into my wife's V551 and it worked fine.

Ericsson Phones Motorola