Serial ATA - Flash Floppy

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
I am tired of my 1.44MB floppy drive... surely there must be an alternative. This technology has served us well but it just doesn't cut it anymore. All I want is something that has the same charateristics but is much larger.

The universal qualities are:
Standard across all PC's
Able to boot from it
easily transportable

My solution is to provide a simple solution based on the new technologies.

1) Use FLASH memory. It is standards based and prices for a 128MB card are dropping rapidly

2) Use Serial ATA and make it work like a removable hard disk that you can boot off.

This should be able to be delivered cheaply as the PC cost is only for the reader.

I think this would be great, when the PC dies you could simply boot up a real rescue disk with a full graphical OS and repair tools. Transporting files would be so much easier than having to worry about burning CD's and it would also be useful to plug into PDA's and the like.

Your thoughts and opinions appreciated.

<font color=blue> The Opteration was a success... I'm now a full-wit</font color=blue> :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
We have something like that, it's called LS120, it can use standard floppies or LS120 disk, it fits an IDE port, etc, it's just not solid state. And USB storage devices would be bootable if someone made a BIOS that allowed it.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?