Conecting to the internet through another computer via lan

wilhelm

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Hi guys.
How, if possible, do i connect one pc( running on xp) via lan to another pc' internet.(on win7)
I can't take off the IP cause my accounting program needs it.
Any help out there??

username-taken

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Yeah. Basically you'll be making one PC into a router.
In win7 go to "Network Connections" and right click on the pc's connection that has the internet. Then properties, sharing. Enable the box for sharing the computer's internet connection.

Setup the other system on the same IP range.

You need to explain the setup you have a bit better. How is the other computer connected to the internet? What is the IP used on both systems? Does it matter what IP you have as long as it's set manually for the program?

wilhelm

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
The computer with the internet access is my server.
I get internet through a data stick which runs on the usb.
The other computer that I needs the internet access on connect through a switch to the server..... my LAN.
I need A fixed IP addresses no matter the address for the accounting software.
Server runs on(let me make sure - lol) windows 7 profesional and the other one on windows xp professional.

Is this USB stick a regular network card like for WiFi that connects to a router, or is it a cell modem that used a cell company data plan?

If it's a data plan card, you can set the IP range to be the same for both computers, 192.168.1.2 for one, 192.168.1.3 for the other, and setup Internet Connection Sharing on the server. Just type ICS in the Help of Windows 7, you will get the steps to do that. Then the two computers will talk to each other and the XP system will be able to connect though the 7 system.