using an iMac with the MN-700 router

Last response: in Networking
Share
April 22, 2004 11:18:25 PM

Is it possible to use an Apple computer with the MN-700
wireless router? The setup for my two Windows laptops
went flawlessly, but now I'm trying to get my dad's iMac
online and it's just not working. The wireless airport
is recognizing the network, and gives a strong signal. I
entered the network SSID and the key and it seems to be
giving a strong signal as expected. But the iMac is not
appearing on the router's configuration page, and I'm not
able to go on the internet to browse the web. I'm
relatively clueless to the ins and outs of the MacOS, but
what I can see of the network settings, everything should
be working. Still, no dice. My two conclusions are that
(a) the laptop is setup to use a web proxy for his
school, and I'm somehow not seeing it in the network
settings screens, OR (b) the MN-700 only works with
Windows systems. I can't imagine it's the latter. TELL
ME it's not the latter. I'll scour the manual a bit
more, but so far I'm coming up empty. Some assistance
would be greatly appreciated. PEACE.

More about : imac 700 router

Anonymous
April 23, 2004 8:44:51 AM

is the airport card an original b card or a new extreme g card? is the
700 set for mixed mode? what mac os? what card? what version airport?

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:18:25 -0700, "Duane"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Thanks for the reply. ExtremeG is relatively new, and my
dad's had this thing for a while. So I'll assume it's
802.11b. The router is set to mixed mode as I haven't
actually upgraded my lappy card to a g card yet. The
regular MacOS X(?). The version of the airport I'm not
sure about. Looking through the router homepage, I see
that it had actually assigned his laptop an IP address. So
something on his laptop maybe. Any suggestions? PEACE.
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 5:40:00 PM

how are you entering the WEP key? if the airport drop down does not
specifically state HEX, use a $ in front of a 128 bit HEX key.

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 07:48:33 -0700,

!