Kenwood turntable KD-5077 - tonearm height problem

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
July 9, 2005 3:09:59 AM

I just bought a used Kenwood KD-5077 turntable that has a problem. The
tone arm is positioned too low during auto return and start up. For
example, when the arm reaches the end, it scrapes lightly across the
record on its way back to the tone arm rest. Similarly, it barely
reaches record height during an automatic start. To get by, I am just
running it manually and putting up a barrier so the tonearm can't do an
auto return.

Also the cue doesn't lift the tonearm. I don't know if this is
related. With such problems, why do I bother? Well, the table came
with a nice moving coil cartridge and sounds pretty good.

Does anyone know how to adjust tone arm height so the needle won't
scrape across the record?

It might help to know that there are two tiny round rubber covers near
the tone arm. One access a screw that adjusts the exursion of the tone
arm before auto return starts. I don't what the other hole access.
The table also has a knob that switches from manual to numbered
funtions 15,25,30. Are these record sizes?

Any help with this is appreciated.

Thanks,

PeteK
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 4:40:26 PM

I'd go to the Vintage Audio forum and the Vinyl Forum on
www.audioasylum.com. Somebody there can probably give you assistance.

Harry

"petek" <petek@preciscom.net> wrote in message
>I just bought a used Kenwood KD-5077 turntable that has a problem. The
> tone arm is positioned too low during auto return and start up. For
> example, when the arm reaches the end, it scrapes lightly across the
> record on its way back to the tone arm rest. Similarly, it barely
> reaches record height during an automatic start. To get by, I am just
> running it manually and putting up a barrier so the tonearm can't do an
> auto return.
>
> Also the cue doesn't lift the tonearm. I don't know if this is
> related. With such problems, why do I bother? Well, the table came
> with a nice moving coil cartridge and sounds pretty good.
>
> Does anyone know how to adjust tone arm height so the needle won't
> scrape across the record?
>
> It might help to know that there are two tiny round rubber covers near
> the tone arm. One access a screw that adjusts the exursion of the tone
> arm before auto return starts. I don't what the other hole access.
> The table also has a knob that switches from manual to numbered
> funtions 15,25,30. Are these record sizes?
>
> Any help with this is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> PeteK

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:51:44 PM

On 8 Jul 2005 23:09:59 -0700, "petek" <petek@preciscom.net> wrote:

>I just bought a used Kenwood KD-5077 turntable that has a problem. The
>tone arm is positioned too low during auto return and start up. For
>example, when the arm reaches the end, it scrapes lightly across the
>record on its way back to the tone arm rest. Similarly, it barely
>reaches record height during an automatic start. To get by, I am just
>running it manually and putting up a barrier so the tonearm can't do an
>auto return.
>
>Also the cue doesn't lift the tonearm. I don't know if this is
>related. With such problems, why do I bother? Well, the table came
>with a nice moving coil cartridge and sounds pretty good.
>
>Does anyone know how to adjust tone arm height so the needle won't
>scrape across the record?

DIfferent models have different ways of adjusting such things,
though an experienced person can probably find it. If no one responds
with the specifics for your model, google the model number and
find/buy a manual for it. I just found one here:
http://www.stereomanuals.com/otherforsale/originals_ken...

>It might help to know that there are two tiny round rubber covers near
>the tone arm. One access a screw that adjusts the exursion of the tone
>arm before auto return starts. I don't what the other hole access.
>The table also has a knob that switches from manual to numbered
>funtions 15,25,30. Are these record sizes?

These appear to be centimeters, 30 divided by 2.54 (cm per inch) is
11.81, which is "close enough" to 12 inches to say that yes, those are
probably centimeters, the metric equivalents of 7, 10 and 12 inch
standard record sizes, to indicate how far the tonearm should move in
to get to the start of the record. Though the 15 number gives 5.91
inches, which seems way off for a 7 inch record.

>Any help with this is appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>PeteK

-----
http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley
July 10, 2005 6:56:34 PM

Thanks to Ben and Harry for responding. Fortunately, the previous
owner found the manuals and is sending them to me. When I figure out
the adjustments, I will post the information.
July 19, 2005 12:35:50 AM

The answer is with the cue. I have never seen one like this. For
manual play the cue must be down to start. To adjust it, I loosened
the cue height adjustement screw, pulled the cue up so the tonearm was
at the recommended height above a record (6-8 mm)and reset screw.

I started the machine the way the manual describes: "Set the cueing
lever to \/ (down). Loosen the set screw A ..... and adjust elevator
height so that the stylus is 6~8 mm above the record surface. Tighten
the set Screw A."

To play manually, the cue should be down. Move the tone arm to the
starting groove and push play. The arm will drop. At the end of the
record, auto return kicks in and the cue raises the arm so that it can
move back to the rest without scraping the record.

I have to play with it more to get the cue to work while the record is
playing, but for now it's fine.

Apparently the KD-5077 is essentially the same table as the 'limestone'
KD-5070 except the KD-5077 has a wood grain look.

!