Tascam DVRA1000 Audio Master Recorder (High Definition),

Last response: in Home Audio
July 9, 2005 11:40:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

I'm considering this unit for my studio to add to my Masterlink, etc.
Has anyone here had any experience with it?
TNX in advance.
--
--Scot
www.RonnieJamesDio.org

In article <oKVze.139899$x96.19014@attbi_s72> ScotClayton@ScotClayton.org writes:

> I'm considering this unit for my studio to add to my Masterlink, etc.
> Has anyone here had any experience with it?

What feature(s) attract you to it, and how will you make use of the
recorder and what it does that your Masterlink doesn't? Do you have a
need for delivering 192 kHz recordings somewhere? Or will you be using
it for 2-track DSD recording? Or just want to throw more eggs in a
bigger basket (put more stuff on a DVD than you can get on a CD)?

July 10, 2005 11:51:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

I have used the Tascam unit on several projects to archive 192 K and
88.2 mixes using external A-D converters. I greatly prefer it to the
Masterlink I own even at the same rates due to the Tascam's ability to
write directly to DVD + RW media.
This avoids the annoyance of having to either keep track of the length
os song files on the masterlink and then if need be edit them before
burning a disc.
The Tascam also has a kybd input which makes labelling mixes much much
easier. Don't know why the thing only comes with a wired remote, but I
haven't needed it anyway.
I can't comment on the Tascam's converters as I am not using them but
would guess they would be the equal or better than the Masterlink.
Lastly the Tascam accepts wordclock sync which the Masterlionk doesn't
making it better for direct playback into something like Pro-tools
(althouigh importing the Wave files from the discs is easier).
I'm planing to sell my Masterlink soon even tho it is less than six
months old. The tascam has most certainly taken its place in my studio.
Mark Linett
July 10, 2005 3:45:52 PM

yrplace <yrplace@earthlink.net> wrote:
>I'm planing to sell my Masterlink soon even tho it is less than six
>months old. The tascam has most certainly taken its place in my studio.

And there's no problem with any of the mastering houses taking discs
made on the DVRA1000?
--scott

July 10, 2005 9:10:30 PM

In article <1121007085.675564.31970@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> yrplace@earthlink.net writes:

> I greatly prefer it to the
> Masterlink I own even at the same rates due to the Tascam's ability to
> write directly to DVD + RW media.
> This avoids the annoyance of having to either keep track of the length
> os song files on the masterlink and then if need be edit them before
> burning a disc.

I suppose that's reasonable if that's what you need. Usually I tend
not to work in such large chunks but some concert sets occasionally
run longer than a CD.

> The Tascam also has a kybd input which makes labelling mixes much much
> easier.

How does that work? Is there more to it than just being able to type a
file name? Can you write some text notes that are readable when you
want to read them, and don't get in the way of things like
transferring the file to a mastering workstation?

July 11, 2005 12:00:30 AM

On 10 Jul 2005 11:45:52 -0400, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>And there's no problem with any of the mastering houses taking discs
>made on the DVRA1000?

They are UDF dics, readable on nearly any DVD-compatible DAW, PC or Mac. The
files are standard, either .wav with broadcast encapsulation or .dff.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 12:02:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 19:40:04 GMT, Scot Clayton <ScotClayton@ScotClayton.org>
wrote:

>I'm considering this unit for my studio to add to my Masterlink, etc.
>Has anyone here had any experience with it?

The Tascam is an outstanding piece of gear, IMO even better than the
Masterlink features- or soundwise.

Too bad it has no hard disk...
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 1:24:00 AM

In article <iio2d1tpgobfj00trk2lqk0fr0467ec540@4ax.com> flegal@aingeal.com writes:

> The Tascam is an outstanding piece of gear, IMO even better than the
> Masterlink features- or soundwise.
>
> Too bad it has no hard disk...

And that's just one of the reasons why Mark prefers it over the
Masterlink. Though I guess the inconvenience of the Masterlink is
because it has a hard disk, you have to use it, and then make a CD
from the file on the disk when you want to move it somewhere.

Different applications, different capabilites.

July 11, 2005 5:09:48 PM

what would be best would be if it had a hard drive and you could either
write to the drive first or the disc. I don't think there is much of an
advantage to not having a hard drive.
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

> From: mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers)
> Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
> Date: 10 Jul 2005 21:24:00 -0400
> Subject: Re: Tascam DVRA1000 Audio Master Recorder (High Definition),
>

> In article <iio2d1tpgobfj00trk2lqk0fr0467ec540@4ax.com> flegal@aingeal.com
> writes:
>
>> The Tascam is an outstanding piece of gear, IMO even better than the
>> Masterlink features- or soundwise.
>>
>> Too bad it has no hard disk...
>
> And that's just one of the reasons why Mark prefers it over the
> Masterlink. Though I guess the inconvenience of the Masterlink is
> because it has a hard disk, you have to use it, and then make a CD
> from the file on the disk when you want to move it somewhere.
>
> Different applications, different capabilites.

July 11, 2005 11:59:02 PM

yrplace wrote:

> This avoids the annoyance of having to either keep track of the length
> os song files on the masterlink and then if need be edit them before
> burning a disc.The tascam has most certainly taken its place in my studio.
> Mark Linett

Mark, thanks for taking the time to answer, I really appreciate it. I
occasionally have the length problem with my Masterlink too, and the
Tascam would make a difference. I LOVE my Masterlink, but I'm definitely
leaning in picking up a Tascam. TNX

--
--Scot
www.RonnieJamesDio.org
www.SMCProductions.org
www.CraigGoldy.org
www.TonyIommi.org
www.ScotClayton.org
http://scotclayton.blogspot.com/
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 3:30:02 PM

But you have USB and can send it straight over..
!