Sign in with
Your question

Gateway computer won't connect to internet but not yoiur usual problem

Last response: in Networking
June 27, 2012 2:27:10 AM

Hello,
My Gateway GZ7112 suddenly decided it would not connect to the internet when plugged into any of the 4 ports on the router (tried 2 routers), But will connect just fine when plugged into a switch which is connected to the same router? This is strange!
June 27, 2012 3:01:43 AM

Any chance the routers are using 10/100Mbps switches while the PC and switch are 1000Mbps (Gigabit) devices, or vice versa? Just trying to determine where there is and isn’t commonality under the two scenarios.

m
l
June 28, 2012 12:34:15 AM

The computer once worked fine connected to any of the routers I have tried, this issue is recent in the past 2 weeks. So something has changed in the computer. Since the Ethernet cards are integrated into the motherboard I suspect the fix is replace the motherboard, they are only $39, not big money but I want to be sure before I spend it.
Michael
m
l
Related resources
July 8, 2012 12:35:09 AM

I think the integrated eithernet card on the motherboard has become defective, but I wanted some help in deciding if this is true before I replace the MB. Opinions are welcome!
Michael
m
l
July 8, 2012 12:53:58 AM

Why replace the entire motherboard, why not just get a cheap $5-10 ethernet card on ebay? They even come in PCI or USB versions, take your pick. I can't see replacing the motherboard for a simple problem such as this.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=%28pci%2Cusb%29+-%2...

Heck, I see a few as cheap as $2-3 shipped (nothing fancy, cheap items from HongKong, but it should work).
m
l
July 15, 2012 1:02:08 AM

This computer has only a mini-pci slot where the wireless card is (it works ok). If I could find an ethernet care to go there I might consider it. However, ethernet works OK when plugged into a switch, just won't work when plugged into the router (I have tried several). My only concern is the mother board on the way out totally. Right they are $32, quite cheap.
m
l
July 22, 2012 1:49:02 AM

Any other ideas?
Michael
m
l
!