Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Ok so here's my issue.

Doing a new build with the following specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Proc: AMD FX-8120
Graph1: Sapphire Radeon HD6850 1GB PCIE 2.1 x 16
Graph2: Sapphire Radeon HD6850 1GB PCIE 2.1 x 16
Memory: GSKILL RipJaw 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
HDD1: WD VelociRaptor 146GB 10K SATA
HDD2: Seagate Caviar 500GB 7200 RPM SATA II
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos 1000
PSU: Corsair 650W
DVD1: Lite-ON 20x DVD RW
DVD2: LG 24x DVD RW

Mods: Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm CPU cooler
Zalman Z-Machine GV100 VGA Cooler for 1 of the HD6850's

Primary game: Anno 2070

First loaded build and setup crossfire. Everything ran smoothly except for Crossfire. It took me a while to get AMD Vision Center to even show the option to Crossfire. Downloading the optional content from AMD's driver page fixed that, not sure why, but that's the fix I was able to do on it.

Ran Anno 2070 using Crossfire with the stock configs for the CPU and graphics cards for hours. And so I thought it was done. The next day, I logged back into the game after a reboot since I like to shut it down over night. Game ran for about an hour and then, all of the sudden I get a frozen screen.

So, naturally, I did a hard boot and on bootup, the "starting Windows" screen freezes. Every time. So I immediately went to re-

install the OS (I wish I wouldn't have but I was frustrated and forgot to create a restore point after everything was stable).

I followed the same process of the new install but after every step of installing updates and drivers I created a backup/recovery point. I got all Windows drivers installed, installed Office, my antivirus, and all motherboard drivers without issues, rebooting multiple times during the process and creating a new backup/restore point after every successful reboot.

As soon as I installed the AMD Catalyst drivers I started getting the freeze again on reboot. I took out one of the graphics cards and restored to the last point I had and it booted. I then went and installed the AMD drivers again and rebooted. BOOM!

freeze on Starting Windows screen again. Rebooted into Safe Mode, used driver sweeper to clean out all display drivers and then rebooted. It booted successfully.

Then I re-installed Vision Center 12.3 version (most recent available) and all initial drivers, but before rebooting, I downloaded and installed all the additional content for Vision Center as well.

Then re-booted and held my breathe. Urika!! It booted successfully. Vision Center wasn't able to open for some reason (some missing file error that i can't remember exaclty). But the drivers were all going and it worked!

I then created a new backup and uninstalled/re-installed Vision Center and re-booted. And it booted successfully again and Vision Center was able to open.

I tested out the game and the graphics were running pretty smoothly. Slightly jumpy in areas but not bad at all.

So, I then created a new backup and shut it down. I then installed my other graphics card again and booted back up. Then, to my dismay, starting windows screen freezes! AHHHH!

That's where I'm at right now. Hoping for some help.

Things I haven't tried yet:

- Uninstalling primary card and installing secondary card in that slot and seeing if it will boot successfully like it does with

the primary card.

- go to MSCONFIG and turn on boot log info to try to identify where it is stalling on which particular file load.

Anyone that can help will receive my patented "across the internet high five"!!!! Winner takes all!!