Win7 64 bit netbios issue

spin498

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Does anyone know if there is an updated 64 bit version of NetBios? I have a Win7 64bit machine that I put together as a media machine. It is on a home network with Linux, other Win7 and Mac machines. I have been unable to get this machine to connect to any other machine on my network, using Network Neighbour hood. All the others see and speak to one another. I have been stymied by this because according to the Googling I have done this has been an issue with people since back in 2010, yet none of the threads I have read have come up with any solutions.

Solutions provided have apparently only been able to provide crippled functionality. I can't believe this hasn't been fixed in two years.
As best I can figure this is a problem with 64 bit as I have multiple Win7 machines in 32 bit mode that connect fine. What is bizarre and aggravating, is the fact that I could map a network drive to 1 folder on the server but can't map a network drive to anything else. I have attempted several of the suggestions except the installation of NetBui which many posters claim won't work on a Win7 system.

You shouldn't be using NetBIOS/NetBEUI w/ Windows anymore. MS deprecated those protocols in favor of TCP/IP a very long time ago. That's why MS doesn't install it by default since XP. Whatever your problems, I don't see NetBIOS/NetBEUI being the solution.

So rather than getting mired in the technical details of these protocols, explain what you're trying to do, and why TCP/IP is not the solution.

spin498

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
explain what you're trying to do, and why TCP/IP is not the solution" Because it doesn't work. I installed the NetBios protocol (not NetBui) because that was one of the solutions offered out there on the net. With NetBios installed I was at least able to map a network drive. It's still mapped but now I can't get passed the computer name to any other drives to map them. I have a Linux based Server that I have all of my media stored on, which I can easily access from all my other machines, be they Windows or Mac. Unfortunately, the one machine I set up as a media machine and have hooked up to my TV won't access the server making all my work moot.