Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Horizontal polarization problems with VisionPlus card

Tags:
  • MPEG DVB
Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 9:46:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

I was wondering if someone could help me with some info.

I recently got a VisionPlus (twinhan) card and am pointed at BEV 91
and 82. My receiver has no problems what so ever with either of my
dual LNBs. My card on the other hand doesn't always tune to
horizontal polarized transponders. If I am getting the TS from an H
transponder, suddenly it will drop off. If I disconnect the Coax,
wait a second and reconnect it, I'm back in business for maybe 30
seconds to 20 minutes, then I have to do the same thing.

I have measured voltages at the card (with a breakout wire) and it is
18.5 Volts while its working and about 13.5 when it cuts out which
correspond nicely to H and V polarization respectively. My receiver
has a strong ~18V for Horiz and ~13V for Vert.

My questions would be:
- Is my card a lemon?
- Do these cards have known issues with voltage problems?
- Are there any incompatibility issues with different types of LNB's
(these are old DTV LNB's) and DVB cards?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thx

More about : horizontal polarization problems visionplus card

November 4, 2004 8:54:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

"Kambo" <darrenbrant@shaw.ca> wrote in message > My questions would be:
> - Is my card a lemon?
> - Do these cards have known issues with voltage problems?
> - Are there any incompatibility issues with different types of LNB's

I have "heard" the VisionPlus 1020 does have some incompatibility problems
running jointly with FTA or other receivers. I suspect it is a floating
ground problem and my suggestion is to make sure all grounds are good &
strong and additoinally make sure your antenna has a wire to EARTH Ground
(required per most local codes) or at least there is an "Earth Ground" block
somewhere in the cabling system. Most of us including myself wait to add the
Earth Ground until mañana. ;^)

I believe you will find somewhere in the VisionPlus documentation (your
manual or online) that the card is in fact incompatible. I don't believe
they will help you much further than that but I'm fairly sure there are
people out there who have it working with both. The last person I helped
with this problem never posted back to the group so we never found out if
this cured the problem. Give VisionPlus a ring (770-529-6800) and get it
straight from the horse's mouth. (online help:
http://www.twinhan.com/on_line_help.asp)

> Any info would be appreciated.
>
> Thx
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 12:40:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't currently have them grounded although I have measured the
outside of the male coax end on the card to the computer ground and it
shows no potential difference. I will ground them properly and see if
I get better results.

I have also sent in a tech support request to VisionPlus. That number
was a sales line and they passed the buck pretty quick :) 



On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 17:54:59 GMT, "Maximus" <Maximus@home.com> wrote:

>"Kambo" <darrenbrant@shaw.ca> wrote in message > My questions would be:
>> - Is my card a lemon?
>> - Do these cards have known issues with voltage problems?
>> - Are there any incompatibility issues with different types of LNB's
>
>I have "heard" the VisionPlus 1020 does have some incompatibility problems
>running jointly with FTA or other receivers. I suspect it is a floating
>ground problem and my suggestion is to make sure all grounds are good &
>strong and additoinally make sure your antenna has a wire to EARTH Ground
>(required per most local codes) or at least there is an "Earth Ground" block
>somewhere in the cabling system. Most of us including myself wait to add the
>Earth Ground until mañana. ;^)
>
>I believe you will find somewhere in the VisionPlus documentation (your
>manual or online) that the card is in fact incompatible. I don't believe
>they will help you much further than that but I'm fairly sure there are
>people out there who have it working with both. The last person I helped
>with this problem never posted back to the group so we never found out if
>this cured the problem. Give VisionPlus a ring (770-529-6800) and get it
>straight from the horse's mouth. (online help:
>http://www.twinhan.com/on_line_help.asp)
>
>> Any info would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thx
>
Related resources
November 5, 2004 7:29:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

"Kambo" <darrenbrant@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:948lo05gbvrfq3sv4oqife58gv995ivimk@4ax.com...
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> I don't currently have them grounded although I have measured the
> outside of the male coax end on the card to the computer ground and it
> shows no potential difference.

That would be expected... but to be thorough, a better test would be to
check for a voltage difference between the cabinet of the computer and the
cabinet of the receiver under the problem conditions. Even then, a (test)
bonding wire between the two cases could help. Similar problems occur when
one puts a normal (power passing) splitter in the line instead of an
isolating "switch" like an SW-21 or DiSEqC. When each receiver is trying to
tune to different polarities, the strongest power supply wins.

> I will ground them properly and see if I get better results.
>
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 8:28:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 06:46:55 GMT, Kambo <darrenbrant@shaw.ca> wrote:

>I was wondering if someone could help me with some info.
>
>I recently got a VisionPlus (twinhan) card and am pointed at BEV 91
>and 82. My receiver has no problems what so ever with either of my
>dual LNBs. My card on the other hand doesn't always tune to
>horizontal polarized transponders. If I am getting the TS from an H
>transponder, suddenly it will drop off. If I disconnect the Coax,
>wait a second and reconnect it, I'm back in business for maybe 30
>seconds to 20 minutes, then I have to do the same thing.
>
>I have measured voltages at the card (with a breakout wire) and it is
>18.5 Volts while its working and about 13.5 when it cuts out which
>correspond nicely to H and V polarization respectively. My receiver
>has a strong ~18V for Horiz and ~13V for Vert.
>
>My questions would be:
> - Is my card a lemon?
> - Do these cards have known issues with voltage problems?
> - Are there any incompatibility issues with different types of LNB's
>(these are old DTV LNB's) and DVB cards?


My Hauppauge Nexux DVB card doesn't make any voltage anymore since I
plugged it into the pass through connector on a Pansat 2500a.
Sounds like your card.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 12:12:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

"Kambo" <darrenbrant@shaw.ca> a écrit dans le message de
news:avjjo0lkf5g5mp6om8tm0i51f65avh0bgo@4ax.com...
> I was wondering if someone could help me with some info.
>
> I recently got a VisionPlus (twinhan) card and am pointed at BEV 91
> and 82. My receiver has no problems what so ever with either of my
> dual LNBs. My card on the other hand doesn't always tune to
> horizontal polarized transponders. If I am getting the TS from an H
> transponder, suddenly it will drop off. If I disconnect the Coax,
> wait a second and reconnect it, I'm back in business for maybe 30
> seconds to 20 minutes, then I have to do the same thing.
>
This looks like a overheat problem of the voltage regulator which supplies
the LNB.
Did you measure the current taken by the LNB in Horizontal polarisation ?
It normally should not be more than 250 mA.
Can you chek the temperature of the voltage regulator on the card just when
the problem occurs ?
If it's very hot, maybe you can increase the size of the heatsink (if there
is one)...
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 8:07:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 09:12:14 +0100, "Hervé Benoit"
<herve.benoit1@free.fr> wrote:

>"Kambo" <darrenbrant@shaw.ca> a écrit dans le message de
>news:avjjo0lkf5g5mp6om8tm0i51f65avh0bgo@4ax.com...
>> I was wondering if someone could help me with some info.
>>
>> I recently got a VisionPlus (twinhan) card and am pointed at BEV 91
>> and 82. My receiver has no problems what so ever with either of my
>> dual LNBs. My card on the other hand doesn't always tune to
>> horizontal polarized transponders. If I am getting the TS from an H
>> transponder, suddenly it will drop off. If I disconnect the Coax,
>> wait a second and reconnect it, I'm back in business for maybe 30
>> seconds to 20 minutes, then I have to do the same thing.
>>
>This looks like a overheat problem of the voltage regulator which supplies
>the LNB.
>Did you measure the current taken by the LNB in Horizontal polarisation ?
>It normally should not be more than 250 mA.
>Can you chek the temperature of the voltage regulator on the card just when
>the problem occurs ?
>If it's very hot, maybe you can increase the size of the heatsink (if there
>is one)...
>

Thanks for the advice.
I checked the current between the card and the LNB while reading a
horizontal transponder, It was a rock solid 141 mA for maybe 45
seconds. Then the current spiked up to about 800 mA and quickly
settled down to about 250 mA but was bouncing randomly around between
240 and 260. I disconnected the lead for 2 seconds, reattached, and I
was back at a rock solid 141 mA again for about another minute. The
timing does corrispond well with the problems I've been seeing.
Unfortunately I was not able to watch any broadcasting during this
experiment. The ammeter must have attenuated the signal too much.

As for the voltage regulator... Do you know where it would be located
on the card or what silk screened desigation it might be? I am
somewhat familiar with PCB electronics but I may need help here.
March 3, 2011 2:53:28 PM

please .. anybody found a help for this problem ??

i have the same problem on my twinhan card ..

i can not get all Horizontal signal .. but i can get most of them .

i can't get 12054 H (( sky sport 3 )) and 12731 H ...

please i need a trusted help that i can do to solve this problem ..

Thank you

Mastertiger2004@hotmail.com
!