Need a hand with the Audigy and DSS-900

ferret

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2002
I have a Soundblaster Audigy, and a DSS-900 speaker system. The 5.1 only works when I play an AC3 file. However, only the front 2 speakers work when playing games, or when I run the speaker test.

It seems as if the digital out on the Audigy only works when playing the AC3 file. When the AC3 is played, the speakers switch from whatever mode they are on to the Dolby Digital mode. Then when the AC3 is done playing, it switched back to the "Stereo" mode. I cannot change it to Dolby Digital when an AC3 is not playing.

Anyone have any ideas?

--F3rret

sturm

Splendid
are the games ur playing made to use a surround card. u might be able to set a surround field on the card to use all the speakers, like simmulated, theatre, music. AC3 has the proper encoding for surround thats why it works. normal stereo signal will only be stereo unless ur using a surround field like i mentioned above.

ferret

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2002
Yes, the games are designed to use 5.1 surround. For example, Soldier of Fortune 2.

I set the card to use 5.1 speakers. When I play an AC3 file, they all work, but when I try the speaker test, only the front 2 speakers work. I am completely confused. :(