MN-500 ftp server setup

Hi Guys.

Im having some troubles setting up my ftp server with my
MN-500 Router. I have done persistant port forwarding for
port 21, to the private IP address of the computer running
the FTP server. But when I connect I get a timeout error.

Also my WAN IP is a differnt address than if I directly
connect my computer to my cable modem. Odd?

Second each time I direct my FTP client to either the WAN
IP or my actual cable IP I get a timeout error. However if
I connect directly to the Private IP it works just fine.
(I know this isnt usable from outside my network though)

I also checked out this page http://www.linksysftp.org/ as
a guide to set up a ftp server, but it still didnt help me.

Any suggestions you could give me would be greatly
appreciated as I cant seem to get this working.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
6 answers Last reply
More about server setup

    Hi,

    Have you applied the lastest firmware to your MN-500?
    The latest one has loopback support so that your can type in your WAN ip
    address to test out your ftp server when you're testing it on one of your
    LAN machines.

    You can download the firmware update for your Base Station here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/15_Downloads.aspx

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    <skyros@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys.
    >
    > Im having some troubles setting up my ftp server with my
    > MN-500 Router. I have done persistant port forwarding for
    > port 21, to the private IP address of the computer running
    > the FTP server. But when I connect I get a timeout error.
    >
    > Also my WAN IP is a differnt address than if I directly
    > connect my computer to my cable modem. Odd?
    >
    > Second each time I direct my FTP client to either the WAN
    > IP or my actual cable IP I get a timeout error. However if
    > I connect directly to the Private IP it works just fine.
    > (I know this isnt usable from outside my network though)
    >
    > I also checked out this page http://www.linksysftp.org/ as
    > a guide to set up a ftp server, but it still didnt help me.
    >
    > Any suggestions you could give me would be greatly
    > appreciated as I cant seem to get this working.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Mike

    Thanks for the link! I downloaded and applied the latest
    firmware for my MN-500, and am currently running V1.11.017.

    I re-tried my FTP and the situation is the same. Both my
    Cable IP and my WAN IP time out, but connecting directly
    through the private IP works. =(

    Does it time out before or after you connect to the FTP server?

    That bit of information is critical as it'll determine whether the fault is
    the FTP server's configuration (i.e. for passive mode) or the router (i.e.
    port forwards)

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    > Thanks for the link! I downloaded and applied the latest
    > firmware for my MN-500, and am currently running V1.11.017.
    >
    > I re-tried my FTP and the situation is the same. Both my
    > Cable IP and my WAN IP time out, but connecting directly
    > through the private IP works. =(

    It times out while trying to connect to the server.

    http://www.linksysftp.org/
    >> as
    >> me.

    >> >.
    >> >

    >.

    I assume your FTP server is using port 21
    The ip that you will connect to when you are trying to hit your FTP from the
    internet is the ip listed under WAN IP Address

    In persistent port forward, you'll make the following entry.
    Inbound port: 21-21
    Type: TCP
    Private IP: the lan ip of the computer that is actually running the FTP
    server
    Private Port: 21-21

    That should get you up and running to connect to the ftp server and usage of
    active mode.

    To get passive mode working, you'll have to create one more entry
    Inbound port: 30000-30009 (this is an example, you can choose anything you
    want)
    Type: TCP
    Private IP: the lan ip of the computer that is actually running the FTP
    server
    Private Port: 30000-30009

    In your FTP server software, you need to tell it to use your WAN ip as the
    passive mode ip, and you'll have to specify that port 30000-30009 as the
    passive mode port range. You can see how to do this at
    http://linksysftp.org.

    That's all there is to it. Hopefully that is helpful.

    --

    "Skyros" <skyros@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > It times out while trying to connect to the server.

    Hi Jason!

    I managed to get it working. Oddly enough the FTP does
    work when its an incomming connection, but when a computer
    on my LAN tries to connect via the WAN IP it times out.

    I did apply the latest firmware, but the loopback didnt do
    anything for me (unless I need to configure it somehow).

    At any rate I am now able to use my FTP from work. I just
    wanted to thank you and Gary for your help!

    =) Cheers

    Mike

    Passive)
    >Inbound port: 30000-30009 (this is an example, you can
    choose anything you
    >want)
    >Type: TCP
    >Private IP: the lan ip of the computer that is actually
    running the FTP
    >server
    >Private Port: 30000-30009
    >
    >In your FTP server software, you need to tell it to use
    your WAN ip as the
    >passive mode ip, and you'll have to specify that port
    30000-30009 as the
    >passive mode port range. You can see how to do this at
    >http://linksysftp.org.
    >
    >That's all there is to it. Hopefully that is helpful.
    >
    >--
    >Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
    >
    >Find out about the MS MVP Program -
    >http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
    >
    >"Skyros" <skyros@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> It times out while trying to connect to the server.

Routers FTP Servers Networking