JP_MIGRAINE

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
i have a lite on dvd/cdorm ,the drive will start to spin when i type in an address on my web browser or i start to search my c drive.is this normal or did i set up my pc wrong?and it slso does it when im in the middle of a game and it will pause the game for a sec.how can i fix this anyone have any idea's? thanks

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Funny, I also have a Liteon DVD/CD that does the same.

But it only does this when I type an adress in the browser, not in games.

This is my new <font color=blue>Updated</font color=blue>, <font color=green>Eatable</font color=green> & <font color=red> Fresh </font color=red> sig.

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
All the different drives I have had up to now, act the same way as you said (a Panasonic 8x CLV, Acer 40x, Asus 40x and Teac 24x10x40x all CAV). But this is absolutely normal, think about it: IE is integrated into Windows so that any explorer or Internet explorer windows you open are the same thing. Because IE 5 tries to auto-complete your address, it needs to know if the address is on the Internet or a local disk folder. So it accesses all the drives to find out... It's actually odd if you don't exhibit such a behaviour unless you're using another browser (probably without local exploring capabilities and without the autocomplete feature). As most modern CD-ROM drives are operating in CAV, they tend to spin up a bit slow (at least to the point that you definitely sense the delay) and hence the brief delay and lighting up of the drive's LED.

Games sometimes need to reach the files on CD, but as you know a CAV drive stops spinning after a timeout period. When the drive is in stand-by it has to spin up before it reads the data and this causes a slight/long delay depending on your drive spin-up speed, etc.

The Panasonic I mentioned above was really fast when dealing with these matters. It didn't have to spin up and down so much. Well, those were good ole CLV days!