/ Sign-up
Your question

Help with buying right win7

  • Virtual Machine
  • Motherboards
  • Linux
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
April 13, 2012 10:27:26 PM

so i am biulding my own custom rig. I will want to run win7 as a virtual machine in linux. I want my win7 to be transferable so that i could plug my harddive into a different motherboard and it still works (allowing me option to change or upgrade mobo later if need be (if this would be even relevant on win7 as a guest OS))

i dont want to buy a liscense just to find it dosnt do what i want or need so to someone who knows what im talking about could i be provided a specific link to say a newegg page so i know exactly what sort of liscense to look for?

More about : buying win7

a c 78 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
April 13, 2012 11:22:53 PM

You must use a retail version if you want to be able to reinstall it on other machines or move the VM. if you use an OEM license you can only reinstall it on the same machine, even in a VM. doing otherwise is illegal.
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2012 12:32:34 AM

Hi :) 

First I dont think its possible to run 7 INSIDE Linux...

You have to do it the other way around...

You run Windows 7 Professionsal or Ultimate (both of which will run VM`s).... Home Premium will NOT...


Sooo you will have to buy a RETAIL version of either Pro or Ultimate... then run Linux in a VM inside 7....

Or multiboot...

You also CANNOT legally plug that hard drive into another computer....

Two reasons.....

1, It WONT work (wrong hardware drivers so EXTREMELY unlikely to boot into Windows...

2, Its NOT legal...

All the best Brett :)