Skew - necessary with Circular Polarization??

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
November 10, 2004 5:58:23 PM

If using a H to H mount and copying circular polarized signals, do you
have to use SKEW adjustments when switching from one satellite to
another? I can't seem to find more than one satellite. Should I be
using SKEW adjustments too?
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 10:33:05 PM

most satellites are linear and not circular, the circular birds are the dss
birds...express vu, dish, dtv. so those are the only ones you will get with
that lnb.

"Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
> If using a H to H mount and copying circular polarized signals, do you
> have to use SKEW adjustments when switching from one satellite to
> another? I can't seem to find more than one satellite. Should I be
> using SKEW adjustments too?
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 7:36:47 AM

Jim wrote:
> If using a H to H mount and copying circular polarized signals, do you
> have to use SKEW adjustments when switching from one satellite to
> another? I can't seem to find more than one satellite. Should I be
> using SKEW adjustments too?

If you've got a single-LNB dish on a motor mount, then no skew adjustment
is necessary.

Skew is only relevant for multi-LNB dishes or planar-polarization LNBs
on Az/El mounts.
Related resources
November 11, 2004 9:02:23 AM

Thanks, that answers the question. I guess my problem is polar
alignment, as I get the 91 bird fine but can't seem to get 82 or 110.

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 04:36:47 GMT, Zoyburg <rats@attib.com> wrote:

>Jim wrote:
>> If using a H to H mount and copying circular polarized signals, do you
>> have to use SKEW adjustments when switching from one satellite to
>> another? I can't seem to find more than one satellite. Should I be
>> using SKEW adjustments too?
>
>If you've got a single-LNB dish on a motor mount, then no skew adjustment
>is necessary.
>
>Skew is only relevant for multi-LNB dishes or planar-polarization LNBs
>on Az/El mounts.
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 9:25:19 AM

Jim wrote:
> Thanks, that answers the question. I guess my problem is polar
> alignment, as I get the 91 bird fine but can't seem to get 82 or 110.

Indeed it must be way off, since it's hard NOT to get DBS birds.

The angle of the axis of rotation should match your latitude.
The line of site of the dish should be perpendicular to the axis,
except tilted down by the necessary declination (a few degrees).
And of course, the whole rig must point due south when it's at its
zenith (highest) position.
!