Speaker refoam - coaxial

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
July 14, 2005 11:19:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Has anyone ever refoamed a coaxial speaker?
I cant see how one removes the tweeter / dustcap to install shims.
Does one just skip this step and hope for the best?

ANy recommendations on Kit spupliers

fatsam

PS: Alpine 6248 & Alpine 6207 speakers

More about : speaker refoam coaxial

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:29:08 AM

fatsam <fatsam@nospam.comcast.net> wrote:
>Has anyone ever refoamed a coaxial speaker?
>I cant see how one removes the tweeter / dustcap to install shims.
>Does one just skip this step and hope for the best?
>
>ANy recommendations on Kit spupliers
>
>fatsam
>
>PS: Alpine 6248 & Alpine 6207 speakers

Okay, these aren't regular coaxial speakers, in that they don't have a
compression driver. They just have a cheap dome tweeter mounted on a
bridge in front of the woofer.

I don't know the particular model, but I suspect they are not designed
for the bridge to be removed. You may have to cut the bridge itself
after desoldering the tinsel connections, if there is no clear way to
dismount it.

I _believe_ that Parts Express will have appropriate surrounds for
the things. The stiffness may not be quite the same but it should be
close enough, and I have been surprisingly pleased with the cheap
generic material from them.

They aren't in the Waldom book, although if you can find a Waldom dealer
willing to sell to you, you should be able to get something more exact
from them.
--scott