Sign in with
Your question

Frontier Nightmare or simple ip question?

Last response: in Networking
June 28, 2012 5:51:37 PM

I have a situation I need help with. Friend of mine has frontier internet. Their network was this scenario: Their house has the main dsl line coming in. They have a barn with a dvr camera security system x number feet from the house. They have an antenna on the house that is wired to a PoE switch then gotes to the dsl router/modem and an antenna on the barn to feed the barn with a wireless internet signal. The barn has a pc and dvr camera system. The antenna on the barn is wired to a PoE switch , then to a router that connects the pc and dvr system to the internet.

Frontier wireless modem/router at the house ip of 192.168.1.1
1 - house pc Ethernet connection
2 - iphone wireless
3 – wireless antenna on the side of the house Ethernet connection to router. PoE static ip of 192.168.1.71
4 – wireless antenna on the side of the barn PoE static ip 192.168.1.72
5 – pc in the barn (roaming ip)
5 – DVR for the camera system static ip 192.168.1.67

Here is the issue. Frontier sent a new modem/router. It has an ip address of 192.168.254.254 instead of the 192.168.1.1. They helped get internet going and to connect their pc and iphone. But they will not support the other equipment. The antenna on the house is plugged into the frontier router, lights are on for it, but it is not showing on the list of connected devices, and I cannot ping it. So without this antenna we cannot see any of the other devices from the barn of course.

Do the static ip addresses that were set on the other devices now need to be xxx.xxx.254.xxx? with a new subemask net? HELP!
June 28, 2012 6:30:34 PM

Yes. The router defines the network via its DHCP server, and if that changed, then it will be handing out IP addresses in the 192.168.254.x network, not 192.168.1.x. I assume the subnet mask is still the same (255.255.255.0).
m
l
June 28, 2012 6:34:02 PM

Thank you for you quick response. That is what I thought. another issue is I am not sure what the ip addresses were for the PoE's :(  is it possible to just plug it straight into a laptop and run ipconfig /all to find out what the ip is for it? That just seems to simple.....( the 1.71 and 1.72 were just a guess. I do know they were pretty close to that)
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2012 7:04:23 PM

ipconfig will only tell you the tcp/ip configuration for that desktop/laptop, not some arbitrary network device connected to it. You either have to know it, or reset the device and start over. I suppose you could also use a probe/scanner, an app that pings all possible addresses on the network to help you discover them (crude, but can be affective when all else fails).

http://www.radmin.com/products/ipscanner/
m
l
June 28, 2012 7:10:28 PM

ahh thanks for your help!
m
l
!