Multi room speaker configuration

Last response: in Home Audio
July 15, 2005 5:39:54 PM

Hello
I am buying a new house and would like it to be wired for ceiling
speakers so that I can play music and I can hear it in all the rooms.
Since I have all my music collection in my computer, which I am
thinking of placing it in the den, I want it to be used as the source
for music. I know Computer does not give out enough amplified sound, so
I would have to connect it to the receiver or amplifier. I want to
place speakers in the Dining room, Family room and Master suite. I also
want to control the volume in each room. Here's what I want to know:

1) What will be best and economical configration to do this?
2) What kind of speakers would I need and where can I get them from?

Thanks.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:54:34 PM

"Bardolator" <Bardolator@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I am buying a new house and would like it to be wired for ceiling
> speakers so that I can play music and I can hear it in all the rooms.
> Since I have all my music collection in my computer, which I am
> thinking of placing it in the den, I want it to be used as the source
> for music. I know Computer does not give out enough amplified sound, so
> I would have to connect it to the receiver or amplifier. I want to
> place speakers in the Dining room, Family room and Master suite. I also
> want to control the volume in each room. Here's what I want to know:
>
> 1) What will be best and economical configration to do this?
> 2) What kind of speakers would I need and where can I get them from?
>

> Thanks.

Wire up the house with Ethernet, and place a network music player (eg
Squeezebox, but there are many others) in each room, together with an
amplifier and speakers in each room. You can also connect each room's DVD
player, TV, computer, etc if any to the amplifier.

So in each room, you can control the volume and source using normal
amplifier controls; also, when the source is the network music player, each
room can either have the same music as the other rooms ("broadcast" mode),
or can select its own music from the computer in the den. (Note: The
Squeezebox allows "broadcast" music, but some other devices do not.)

I know nothing about ceiling speakers. I did once install some ordinary
bookshelf speakers high on the wall, just below the ceiling. They served
their purpose.

Tim
!