Bluetooth phone for surveillance

I have a Sonyericsson z1010 and just bought a bluetooth trasmitter on my pc.
I was wondered about the capabilities of the bloethooth system! (like using
the pc for calling and hearing the phone call on the pc hearphones).
So, stimulated from this tecnology I asked myself if it is possible (maybe
some I need some software for this) to use a Blouetooth phone and my pc to
use the phone to control video and audio of another room... I mean: I leave
my mobile into another room and I can see from the pc trough the mobile
camera and hear from the mobile microphone.
The tecnology it's surely capable to do this but then, is it really
possible? None knows if some software can do this? (it could be usefull for
surveillance for example).
Thanks to anyone who could answer.
7 answers Last reply
More about bluetooth phone surveillance

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <6TvAd.7061$H%6.313782@twister1.libero.it> on Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:43:14
    GMT, "GrandePino" <falso@libero.it> wrote:

    >I have a Sonyericsson z1010 and just bought a bluetooth trasmitter on my pc.
    >I was wondered about the capabilities of the bloethooth system! (like using
    >the pc for calling and hearing the phone call on the pc hearphones).
    >So, stimulated from this tecnology I asked myself if it is possible (maybe
    >some I need some software for this) to use a Blouetooth phone and my pc to
    >use the phone to control video and audio of another room... I mean: I leave
    >my mobile into another room and I can see from the pc trough the mobile
    >camera and hear from the mobile microphone.
    >The tecnology it's surely capable to do this but then, is it really
    >possible? None knows if some software can do this? (it could be usefull for
    >surveillance for example).
    >Thanks to anyone who could answer.

    That would take a special Bluetooth profile that isn't supported.

    In message <KJCAd.15228$_3.175994@typhoon.sonic.net>, John Navas
    <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> writes
    >[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    >In <6TvAd.7061$H%6.313782@twister1.libero.it> on Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:43:14
    >GMT, "GrandePino" <falso@libero.it> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a Sonyericsson z1010 and just bought a bluetooth trasmitter on my pc.
    >>I was wondered about the capabilities of the bloethooth system! (like using
    >>the pc for calling and hearing the phone call on the pc hearphones).
    >>So, stimulated from this tecnology I asked myself if it is possible (maybe
    >>some I need some software for this) to use a Blouetooth phone and my pc to
    >>use the phone to control video and audio of another room... I mean: I leave
    >>my mobile into another room and I can see from the pc trough the mobile
    >>camera and hear from the mobile microphone.
    >>The tecnology it's surely capable to do this but then, is it really
    >>possible? None knows if some software can do this? (it could be usefull for
    >>surveillance for example).
    >>Thanks to anyone who could answer.
    >
    >That would take a special Bluetooth profile that isn't supported.

    Not to mention that a bluetooth connection doesn't really have enough
    bandwidth to transmit any kind of live video. Of course it could be
    compressed and converted but that would be more hardware required in the
    phone and it would be poor quality.
    --
    Pete Devlin
    "Mind the oranges Marlon!"

    > Not to mention that a bluetooth connection doesn't really have enough
    > bandwidth to transmit any kind of live video. Of course it could be
    > compressed and converted but that would be more hardware required in the
    > phone and it would be poor quality.
    > --

    I don't really think so!

    GrandePino wrote:
    > I have a Sonyericsson z1010 and just bought a bluetooth trasmitter on my pc.
    > I was wondered about the capabilities of the bloethooth system! (like using
    > the pc for calling and hearing the phone call on the pc hearphones).
    > So, stimulated from this tecnology I asked myself if it is possible (maybe
    > some I need some software for this) to use a Blouetooth phone and my pc to
    > use the phone to control video and audio of another room... I mean: I leave
    > my mobile into another room and I can see from the pc trough the mobile
    > camera and hear from the mobile microphone.
    > The tecnology it's surely capable to do this but then, is it really
    > possible? None knows if some software can do this? (it could be usefull for
    > surveillance for example).
    > Thanks to anyone who could answer.

    On the lesser SE phones based on the same platform as the Z1010, you can
    remote control the camera (not sound, not video, AFAIK) from your PC via
    Bluetooth. It has been demonstrated on the K700i.

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <AQ8vR9XH3v0BFwOz@sukmabobby.com> on Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:56:07 +0000, pete
    devlin <spamtrap@secondrow.co.uk> wrote:

    >Not to mention that a bluetooth connection doesn't really have enough
    >bandwidth to transmit any kind of live video. Of course it could be
    >compressed and converted but that would be more hardware required in the
    >phone and it would be poor quality.

    Bluetooth is capable of 721 Kbps, which is quite adequate for decent video,
    particularly with a low frame rate, which wouldn't be a problem for video
    surveillance.

    In message <ghgBd.15753$_3.181490@typhoon.sonic.net>, John Navas
    <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> writes
    >[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    >In <AQ8vR9XH3v0BFwOz@sukmabobby.com> on Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:56:07 +0000, pete
    >devlin <spamtrap@secondrow.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Not to mention that a bluetooth connection doesn't really have enough
    >>bandwidth to transmit any kind of live video. Of course it could be
    >>compressed and converted but that would be more hardware required in the
    >>phone and it would be poor quality.
    >
    >Bluetooth is capable of 721 Kbps, which is quite adequate for decent video,
    >particularly with a low frame rate, which wouldn't be a problem for video
    >surveillance.

    I think our interpretation of "decent" is different. I think that the
    streamed video I get over my 1Mb/s is still pretty poor quality. Having
    said that, the video as recorded by the k700i is pretty poor so it would
    quite easily be transmittable over 721Kbps, as you have already stated.
    --
    Pete Devlin
    "Mind the oranges Marlon!"

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <GhW+9bJrYZ1BFwER@sukmabobby.com> on Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:10:51 +0000, pete
    devlin <spamtrap@secondrow.co.uk> wrote:

    >In message <ghgBd.15753$_3.181490@typhoon.sonic.net>, John Navas
    ><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> writes

    >>Bluetooth is capable of 721 Kbps, which is quite adequate for decent video,
    >>particularly with a low frame rate, which wouldn't be a problem for video
    >>surveillance.
    >>
    >I think our interpretation of "decent" is different. I think that the
    >streamed video I get over my 1Mb/s is still pretty poor quality.

    Perhaps that's due to suboptimal encoding. The latest codecs (WM9, Real,
    MPEG4/Quicktime) are capable of decent video even at 300 Kbps (about all that
    Bluetooth can handle), given (say) 320x240 frame size (VHS quality) at 10-15
    frames per second (a bit jerky, but still decent). At 600-900 Kbps you can
    get quality that's quite good.

    >Having
    >said that, the video as recorded by the k700i is pretty poor so it would
    >quite easily be transmittable over 721Kbps, as you have already stated.

    Agreed.

Ericsson Phones Bluetooth