Linksys AP working as a wireless repeater

Last response: in Networking
a b F Wireless
April 23, 2004 9:16:01 AM

I'm trying to get my Linksys WAP 11 AP to work as a
wireless repeater with my Microsoft MN500 base station.

Have spoken with technical support at Linksys and they
have stated that it can be done, and have given me the
direction to configure the Linksys AP, but am still in
the dark as what to do with the MN 500 basestation.

Can anyone advise as to the necessary configuration to
the MN500 to make this work?

Thanks
SL
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 23, 2004 9:28:24 AM

You don't need to do anything with the MN-500. The configuration of the AP
should make it part of the LAN, and it is seen as another networking device
automatically by the MN-500.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"S.Lee" <sean_lee@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to get my Linksys WAP 11 AP to work as a
> wireless repeater with my Microsoft MN500 base station.
>
> Have spoken with technical support at Linksys and they
> have stated that it can be done, and have given me the
> direction to configure the Linksys AP, but am still in
> the dark as what to do with the MN 500 basestation.
>
> Can anyone advise as to the necessary configuration to
> the MN500 to make this work?
>
> Thanks
> SL
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 23, 2004 12:29:23 PM

It will not work, regardless of what Linksys told you.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

he's trying to use it wireless as a repeater and not plug it into the 500.
which won't work.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Ah yes. DUH. And the coffee pot is still perking! 8-) I missed the "work
as . . ." part.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> he's trying to use it wireless as a repeater and not plug it into the 500.
> which won't work.
>
> Chris H. wrote:
>> You don't need to do anything with the MN-500. The configuration of
>> the AP should make it part of the LAN, and it is seen as another
>> networking device automatically by the MN-500.
>> "S.Lee" <sean_lee@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm trying to get my Linksys WAP 11 AP to work as a
>>> wireless repeater with my Microsoft MN500 base station.
>>>
>>> Have spoken with technical support at Linksys and they
>>> have stated that it can be done, and have given me the
>>> direction to configure the Linksys AP, but am still in
>>> the dark as what to do with the MN 500 basestation.
>>>
>>> Can anyone advise as to the necessary configuration to
>>> the MN500 to make this work?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> SL
>

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 23, 2004 5:59:31 PM

I am now able to see the Linksys AP when unplugged from
the MN500...I was not able to do that before...Linksys
advised that I add the MN500 gateway IP to the AP
config...Still not able to get a browser connection open
however when connected to the AP...

Any other tips or should I give up...

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 24, 2004 10:11:36 AM

you will see it as an access point, but it won't repeat/extend the
signal from the MN500 wirelessly.

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:59:31 -0700, "S.Lee"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist