html Java web browsers?

Am looking for one for a Voda branded k700i. REQwireless WebViewer doesn't
work - GPRS symbol comes on but all I get is "Contacting server" then times
out. The supplied browser will sort of load the sites I'm trying to access
with WV but doesn't display them correctly so Voda isn't ring-fencing html
sites. The ReqWireless FAQ assumes you can connect but have other issues.
The User Manual also is web based! ho hum.
9 answers Last reply
More about html java browsers

    In message <33gt45F419v7qU1@individual.net>, Paul Busby <me@privacy.net>
    writes
    >Am looking for one for a Voda branded k700i. REQwireless WebViewer doesn't
    >work - GPRS symbol comes on but all I get is "Contacting server" then times
    >out. The supplied browser will sort of load the sites I'm trying to access
    >with WV but doesn't display them correctly so Voda isn't ring-fencing html
    >sites. The ReqWireless FAQ assumes you can connect but have other issues.
    >The User Manual also is web based! ho hum.

    Have you tried on an unbranded model? Does it work on other non smart
    phones? I interested in this, where can I get it? I'll try it on my
    debranded phone. I take it you have the ability to change DNS etc
    manually? Are you using the correct data profile with APN set to
    "internet" and correct voda logins?
    --
    Pete Devlin
    "Mind the oranges Marlon!"

    Thus spake pete devlin:
    > In message <33gt45F419v7qU1@individual.net>, Paul Busby
    > <me@privacy.net> writes
    >> Am looking for one for a Voda branded k700i. REQwireless WebViewer
    >> doesn't work - GPRS symbol comes on but all I get is "Contacting
    >> server" then times out. The supplied browser will sort of load the
    >> sites I'm trying to access with WV but doesn't display them
    >> correctly so Voda isn't ring-fencing html sites. The ReqWireless FAQ
    >> assumes you can connect but have other issues. The User Manual also
    >> is web based! ho hum.
    > Have you tried on an unbranded model? Does it work on other non smart
    > phones? I interested in this, where can I get it? I'll try it on my
    > debranded phone. I take it you have the ability to change DNS etc
    > manually? Are you using the correct data profile with APN set to
    > "internet" and correct voda logins?

    http://reqwireless.com/webviewer.html
    They have a fairly extensive list of GPRS APNs on their site. The built-in
    GPRS a/c details can't be viewed as it's part of the branding, so its APN is
    unknown. However, the existing browser can access the internet & changing
    the default Internet profile doesn't help. I had to setup a separate GPRS
    a/c to access my email & its APN was internet which may imply the default
    one isn't & indeed this is the problem. I just can't see a way of pointing
    WebView to the other a/c. I will be most interested in knowing if an
    unbranded phone on Voda particularly will work.

    This maybe a further incentive to get it unlocked & unbranded sooner rather
    than later.

    In message <33jf04F40k3dlU1@individual.net>, Paul Busby <me@privacy.net>
    writes

    >http://reqwireless.com/webviewer.html
    >They have a fairly extensive list of GPRS APNs on their site. The built-in
    >GPRS a/c details can't be viewed as it's part of the branding, so its APN is
    >unknown. However, the existing browser can access the internet & changing
    >the default Internet profile doesn't help. I had to setup a separate GPRS
    >a/c to access my email & its APN was internet which may imply the default
    >one isn't & indeed this is the problem. I just can't see a way of pointing
    >WebView to the other a/c. I will be most interested in knowing if an
    >unbranded phone on Voda particularly will work.
    >
    >This maybe a further incentive to get it unlocked & unbranded sooner rather
    >than later.

    Ta for the link. I will try it soon but not just yet, given the time of
    year etc. hic!
    HNY
    --
    Pete Devlin
    "Mind the oranges Marlon!"

    Thus spake pete devlin:
    > Ta for the link. I will try it soon but not just yet, given the time
    > of year etc. hic!
    > HNY
    Thanks Pete, have a good one yurselfv!

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <33gt45F419v7qU1@individual.net> on Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:32:33 -0000, "Paul
    Busby" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >Am looking for one for a Voda branded k700i. REQwireless WebViewer doesn't
    >work - GPRS symbol comes on but all I get is "Contacting server" then times
    >out. The supplied browser will sort of load the sites I'm trying to access
    >with WV but doesn't display them correctly so Voda isn't ring-fencing html
    >sites. The ReqWireless FAQ assumes you can connect but have other issues.
    >The User Manual also is web based! ho hum.

    WebViewer works great on my Sony Ericsson Z600, so this sounds like a
    configuration problem or possibly a carrier branding issue.

    John Navas wrote:

    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <33gt45F419v7qU1@individual.net> on Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:32:33 -0000,
    > "Paul Busby" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Am looking for one for a Voda branded k700i. REQwireless WebViewer doesn't
    >>work - GPRS symbol comes on but all I get is "Contacting server" then
    >>times out. The supplied browser will sort of load the sites I'm trying to
    >>access with WV but doesn't display them correctly so Voda isn't
    >>ring-fencing html sites. The ReqWireless FAQ assumes you can connect but
    >>have other issues. The User Manual also is web based! ho hum.
    >
    > WebViewer works great on my Sony Ericsson Z600, so this sounds like a
    > configuration problem or possibly a carrier branding issue.

    Well the poster has a problem on a K700i NOT a Z600, so how do you infer
    that it is a configuration problem?

    I have exactly the same problem. the reqwireless browser worked perfectly on
    a T610 but NOT on a K700i. My internet setup is working allright as I can
    internet through the K700i from my laptop (using the automatically
    configured DNS) and retrieve/send emails through my regular ISP (using
    automatically designated DNS).
    Furthermore my K700i is not SIM-locked/"modified-by-carrier" and
    internetting/mailing with my laptop works in several European countries
    using the same profile as I use for the reqwireless browser.

    I also see the globe indicating that I am having an internet connection, but
    no cigar.
    I can wait for ages on the "connecting to server" prompt, with nothing
    happening.

    I personally believe that the reqwireless browser has a problem with the
    k700i (as do I. Compared to the T610 it's a faily flaky phone. Mine reboots
    itself something like once a week. Especially when doing something
    bluetooth related (connecting/re-connecting from various PC's, carkit etc)
    --
    Jan Schledermann
    Helmond, The Netherlands

    Thus spake Jan Schledermann:
    > Well the poster has a problem on a K700i NOT a Z600, so how do you
    > infer that it is a configuration problem?

    Well, it is the same platform & no doubt shares much of same design.

    > I have exactly the same problem. the reqwireless browser worked
    > perfectly on a T610 but NOT on a K700i. My internet setup is working
    > allright as I can internet through the K700i from my laptop (using
    > the automatically configured DNS) and retrieve/send emails through my
    > regular ISP (using automatically designated DNS).
    > Furthermore my K700i is not SIM-locked/"modified-by-carrier" and
    > internetting/mailing with my laptop works in several European
    > countries using the same profile as I use for the reqwireless browser.
    >
    > I also see the globe indicating that I am having an internet
    > connection, but no cigar.
    > I can wait for ages on the "connecting to server" prompt, with nothing
    > happening.

    I've just got up & therefore am a bit slow, I frowned when I read cigar (as
    in what cigar icon!!). Yup I get the globe as well (& no cigar).

    > I personally believe that the reqwireless browser has a problem with
    > the k700i (as do I. Compared to the T610 it's a faily flaky phone.
    > Mine reboots itself something like once a week. Especially when doing
    > something bluetooth related (connecting/re-connecting from various

    I got a very good price for my T610, probably more than its worth but the
    guy's still a friend! Your K700i sounds faulty to me. I would try a master
    reset, a firmware upgrade then a replacement or repair :(

    My K700i is far more stable than my T610 ever was. The K700i has far better
    RF performance (top notch IMO), very good audio, much better display, better
    joystick, better & faster UI, louder ringtones, handsfree speaker, beefed-up
    T9, better BT implementation, web firmware upgrade on non-branded versions,
    street address entry in phonebook, far more memory, the ability to make a
    call & keep the GPRS connection live & a superior camera (not difficult -
    the T610 camera is about the worst out there). The only thing better on the
    T610 is its battery & the ability to change profiles using voice commands
    which I miss. The excellent RF performance alone is good enough reason for
    the K700i's existence.

    I've bookmarked the now free www.skweezer.net for html access, though one
    has to manually enter addresses on their page. Phones need proper web access
    as WAP is so pitiful. Nokia's xhtml implementation on their 7610 is OK for
    instance.

    Regards

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <41d90d87$0$35788$d5255a0c@news.euronet.nl> on Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:16:55
    +0100, Jan Schledermann <jschledermann@-REMOVE-euronet.nl> wrote:

    >John Navas wrote:
    >
    >> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >>
    >> In <33gt45F419v7qU1@individual.net> on Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:32:33 -0000,
    >> "Paul Busby" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Am looking for one for a Voda branded k700i. REQwireless WebViewer doesn't
    >>>work - GPRS symbol comes on but all I get is "Contacting server" then
    >>>times out. The supplied browser will sort of load the sites I'm trying to
    >>>access with WV but doesn't display them correctly so Voda isn't
    >>>ring-fencing html sites. The ReqWireless FAQ assumes you can connect but
    >>>have other issues. The User Manual also is web based! ho hum.
    >>
    >> WebViewer works great on my Sony Ericsson Z600, so this sounds like a
    >> configuration problem or possibly a carrier branding issue.
    >>
    >Well the poster has a problem on a K700i NOT a Z600, so how do you infer
    >that it is a configuration problem?

    1. The K700i firmware is similar to the Z600.

    2. Reqwireless lists the K700 as compatible.
    <http://www.reqwireless.com/webviewer.html>

    Hi,

    > My K700i is far more stable than my T610 ever was. The K700i has far
    better
    > RF performance (top notch IMO), very good audio, much better display,
    better
    > joystick, better & faster UI, louder ringtones, handsfree speaker,
    beefed-up
    > T9, better BT implementation, web firmware upgrade on non-branded
    versions,
    > street address entry in phonebook, far more memory, the ability to
    make a
    > call & keep the GPRS connection live & a superior camera (not
    difficult -
    > the T610 camera is about the worst out there). The only thing better
    on the
    > T610 is its battery & the ability to change profiles using voice
    commands
    > which I miss. The excellent RF performance alone is good enough
    reason for
    > the K700i's existence.

    a small addition to your K700i feature description.
    I also have a K700i now,
    and IMHO the keyboard and the form factor of the housing/case
    of my former T630 (not 610) was ways better than with the K700.

    In all other respects, the K700 is superior to the T630,
    I have to admit.

    But the first thing you have to do after buying the K700i
    is to upgrade the firmware.
    Mine originally came with the first fw release,
    which was nearly unusable (= lack of QM).

    Regards,

    Raymond

Ericsson HTML Browsers Product