My own wireless network in my room

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Wireless Network
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 5, 2012 12:15:41 PM

Dear all,

Im looking to rehaul my existing setup because its causing me problems. Ive been searching for a long time and I just cant seem to get the answer.

I have a room in a house I share with other people. I want my own network in my room, im not all too fussed if people can see my kit although id prefer they didnt (windows 7 seems to be a bit irritating about this). At the moment all my kit is sort of half between being physically connected to the router in my room and the rest going through wifi but this all has to go to downstairs. It means my squeezebox-PC, squeezebox-NAS and PC-NAS connections are basically rubbish. I want the only bottleneck to be the internet speed to my room. Once its here its cool, everything needs to be smooth IN my room.

Please bear in my I considered the repeater bridge but I dont have details for the modem/router downstairs so I barely managed to get the Bridge going with dd-wrt. I also dont want a repeater because then the rest of the house will be using my router instead of the one downstairs.

I currently have this setup:

I want this:

Its effectively taking internet wirelessly as it does now but under a separate SSID creates a whole new network for my room only. The router in my room is a TP-Link WR1043ND so I imagine shouldnt be a problem, though it might involve getting another router and fiddling with the IP numbers to get it to work properly, im medium experienced in this stuff no superstar.

Very keen to hear thoughts. It must be a common problem!

More about : wireless network room

June 5, 2012 5:40:22 PM

even so you using a separate SSID, all you data is still accessible to the rest of the house.

when adding a second router all you need to make sure is that the LAN IP is different then your current IP scheme. If current is 192.168.1.xxx set you LAN IP to 192.168.5.1
June 5, 2012 5:56:36 PM

Emerald said:
even so you using a separate SSID, all you data is still accessible to the rest of the house.

when adding a second router all you need to make sure is that the LAN IP is different then your current IP scheme. If current is 192.168.1.xxx set you LAN IP to 192.168.5.1

Im currently using the SSID of the AP as without it the bridge won't work to get wifi into the router, which is what the problem is. Im not too worried about the visibility, as you can see in the drawings im more interested in getting this entire part of the network under a different SSID.

Effectively the bridge allows my wired kit to be separate but when I access anything wireless through the second router it first goes through the first one which is too far away.
Related resources
June 5, 2012 6:10:26 PM

Emerald said:
is this how you TP is setup?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

no mine is a client bridge not repeater bridge

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridge

This is because of my specific situation, firstly we cant seem to find the AP detail (BT system), and secondly if I do set up the repeater instead of wireless it would mean anyone connecting to the SSID would go through my router which will slow it down and is therefore a bad idea. It is meant to be my own SSID, taking only internet from the AP and feeding into the router in my room
June 5, 2012 6:33:48 PM

OK sorted now

Emerald youre right about the repeater id somehow not been able to get it working before but it does indeed work under a new SSID. awesome so now im there. thanks
June 5, 2012 6:54:06 PM

the bridge repeater has a primary wireless which will connect via SSID to your AP and will not allow others to connect through it since it is not sending out a signal.

it also has a secondary wireless which you can give its own SSID which will allow for connection.

otherwise get another router and configure it as an AP

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wire...
!