Are there any DVD players that recognize Lossless Audio en..

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
July 18, 2005 10:41:24 AM

It would be nice to store multiple audio albums on one burned DVD, but
does any standalone DVD player recognize APE,FLAC, SHN, or lossless
WMA audio formats?

I want to (perfectly) backup my audio collection and make a playable
disc at the same time.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 10:41:25 AM

"Me" wrote ...
> It would be nice to store multiple audio albums on one burned DVD, but
> does any standalone DVD player recognize APE,FLAC, SHN, or lossless
> WMA audio formats?
>
> I want to (perfectly) backup my audio collection and make a playable
> disc at the same time.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 1:39:33 PM

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 06:41:24 GMT, Me@here.org (Me) wrote:

> It would be nice to store multiple audio albums on one burned DVD,
but
> does any standalone DVD player recognize APE,FLAC, SHN, or lossless
> WMA audio formats?
>
> I want to (perfectly) backup my audio collection and make a
playable
> disc at the same time.

The DVD-Audio format has MLP, Meridian lossless packing. MLP supports
44.1KHZ and other audio sampling rates, where DVD-Video supports only
48KHz and 96KHz.
Related resources
July 18, 2005 9:31:12 PM

I was thinking along the lines of using a data format, much like a
homemade CDR can be full of MP3s, with a DVDR you could fill it up
with Lossless Audio files, if only there is a standalone DVD player
that can recognize a Lossless audio codec.
(If a single-sided DVD can hold 4.7 GB, and lossless audio compression
is a about 2:1, you should be able to store 10-15 lossless albums on
one disc!)
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:39:33 GMT, rasth@fakename.com wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 06:41:24 GMT, Me@here.org (Me) wrote:
>
> > It would be nice to store multiple audio albums on one burned DVD,
>but
> > does any standalone DVD player recognize APE,FLAC, SHN, or lossless
> > WMA audio formats?
> >
> > I want to (perfectly) backup my audio collection and make a
>playable
> > disc at the same time.
>

>The DVD-Audio format has MLP, Meridian lossless packing. MLP supports
>44.1KHZ and other audio sampling rates, where DVD-Video supports only
>48KHz and 96KHz.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 8:49:12 AM

Me wrote:
> I was thinking along the lines of using a data format, much like a
> homemade CDR can be full of MP3s, with a DVDR you could fill it up
> with Lossless Audio files, if only there is a standalone DVD player
> that can recognize a Lossless audio codec.
> (If a single-sided DVD can hold 4.7 GB, and lossless audio compression
> is a about 2:1, you should be able to store 10-15 lossless albums on
> one disc!)

I use a program called DVD Audio Creator, and I usually get about 6 to
10 albums on one DVD. It works GREAT! If you bump it up to 24 bit,
instead of 16, or course it eats up more room...

Plays on ALL DVD Players!

--
--Scot
www.RonnieJamesDio.org

Thanks for the info.
I was looking at their website
(http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/index.htm), but I still can't tell
if the audio files are upconverted to DVD specs (96 kHz 24bit??),
or will CD Audio stay at 44.1 kHz 16 bit?
(Which would mean that CD Audio included in the DVD specs.)
Thanks.

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 04:49:12 GMT, Scot Clayton
<ScotClayton@ScotClayton.org> wrote:

>Me wrote:
>> I was thinking along the lines of using a data format, much like a
>> homemade CDR can be full of MP3s, with a DVDR you could fill it up
>> with Lossless Audio files, if only there is a standalone DVD player
>> that can recognize a Lossless audio codec.
>> (If a single-sided DVD can hold 4.7 GB, and lossless audio compression
>> is a about 2:1, you should be able to store 10-15 lossless albums on
>> one disc!)
>
>I use a program called DVD Audio Creator, and I usually get about 6 to
>10 albums on one DVD. It works GREAT! If you bump it up to 24 bit,
>instead of 16, or course it eats up more room...
>
>Plays on ALL DVD Players!
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:51:50 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:40:20 GMT, Me@Here.org (Me) wrote:

> Thanks for the info.
> I was looking at their website
> (http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/index.htm), but I still can't
tell
> if the audio files are upconverted to DVD specs (96 kHz 24bit??),
> or will CD Audio stay at 44.1 kHz 16 bit?
> (Which would mean that CD Audio included in the DVD specs.)
> Thanks.
>
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 04:49:12 GMT, Scot Clayton
> <ScotClayton@ScotClayton.org> wrote:
>

> >I use a program called DVD Audio Creator, and I usually get about
> >10 albums on one DVD. It works GREAT! If you bump it up to 24 bit,
> >instead of 16, or course it eats up more room...
> >
> >Plays on ALL DVD Players!

To play on all DVD-V players, it has to convert to either 48KHz or
96KHz. The DVD-A spec can handle 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192
sampling rates and features lossless compression, which is why it is
superior for music.
!