Suggestions on building a new P4 system

innocentbastard

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Piecing together new Pc and looking for some ideas.
I am currently in the process of picking out the pieces to my new computer that I plan to assemble, but there are a couple of areas I am still unsure about. This pc will be primarily for gaming and of course secondary for internert and Mp3's and playing the occasional dvd. I will probably attempt some simple overclocks eventually. Here is what I have so far either new in box already in hand or that I am bringing over from a previous pc.

Maxtor 80gb 7200 ATA133
Maxtor 80gb 5400 ATA100
Cendyne Cdrw (Lite-on model) 32x12x40
Lite-on Dvd 16x
Sb Audigy OEM
Viewsonic 21 inch P815
HP Deskjet 970cxi

Here is what I am looking to get and here is where I need suggestions

P4 1.6A...(may or may not attempt overclocking, most likely will)
Case....Leaning towards an Antec
PSU....have no idea
Motherboard I am unsure of...
Memory...minimum of 512 megs...unsure of what brand or type to go with
NIC.....either onboard or seperate card
Videocard...minimum of G4 Ti4200...again looking for suggestions
Cooling...again I have no idea.
Speakers...unsure but will pick up later down the road.

Is there anything I am missing or that I should include? Also mind you I am not in a huge rush so if there is something I should wait for that will be out by the end of this month, please let me know.
I really don't want to go over 1000 for the remaining parts but I can if I need. Thanks everyone for the help.

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
antec is a good case maker.
Enermax or sparkle is a good psu.
Avoid OCZ memory. Get corsair or samsung.
For a rock solid nic, get a 3com. D-link makes a good (and cheap) card.
If you are going to overclock, get a watercooling system. ( you can make your own or you can buy a kit. I boutgh the innovatek kit from ww.highspeedpc.com and it keeps my athlon XP1900+ runnin around 30 degrees celsius. If you're not going for overclocking but do want some air cooling, get panoflo fans since they're quiet and move a lot of air.)

Good Luck!

Time is the best teacher... unfortunatly, it kills all of its students.

AntecRep

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Looks like your case requirements are fairly minimal so on that alone I'd say get a minitower (Plus660, or SX635).
If cooling is more of a concern though look at the 8 or 10 series (either Performance or Performance Plus). Currently though the Performance Plus are only available with a power supply, so if you opt to go with another power supply that'll restrict you to the Performance Series (at which point to save money I'd say look for the Chieftec versions, which can be had pretty inexpensively).

RAM, I've had good luck with Crucial and Mushkin. I lean more towards Mushkin because of a better impression I had with them on my most recent order (512 of DDR their basic stuff).

OH and on cooling it also depends heavily on how much noise you're willing to put up with.

AntecRep

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can get the same case as Antec sells from Chieftec, for as little as $40 at newegg. Then pick a nice Enermax power supply from their complete line.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?