Extend network to anther building

MattyP1990

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hi there

We've just built a small studio flat around 20 metres away from our main house and now we're looking to get internet in there.

So far my best option seems to be to run an armoured Ethernet cable underground from the router into the flat (router is placed around 30 metres away)

So what I need is something to plug the cat5 into which will extend my home network so we can carry on sharing media, give us wireless in there, but it will also need some Ethernet ports to connect in my TV, av receiver etc.

So is there an access point which will do this, or should I just get another wireless router and extend the network that way? Or are there any other options which will maintain speed?

I've also considered a wireless extender of some form but there's a double garage in between so there would be a lot to pass.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

If you're able to run a hardened ethernet wire between the buildings, it’s always going to prove faster and more reliable than wireless. Then all you need is to patch a switch + WAP (wireless access point) in the remote building for wired and wireless users. Using a second wireless router is probably the most cost effective means to that end.

Configure the second wireless router w/ a static IP in the same network as your primary router and not otherwise in use elsewhere (e.g., DHCP pool). So if the primary router is 192.168.1.1, perhaps make it 192.168.1.2. Now disable its DHCP server and patch the ethernet cable to one of its LAN ports. Never use the WAN port, that’s only for routing, which doesn’t apply in this case.

MattyP1990

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Thanks for the reply

Will give that a try in the next week or two.

Just from first glance I'm thinking of buying something like the TP-LINK TL-WA901ND. Will this be suitable? Will do some more research into the best product range, however...

Thanks for the advice anyway :)