I am very stupid...or, how much damage have I done

kinetik

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
OK..let me preface this by stating I was jet lagged and operating on 2 hrs of sleep.

I have had problems with my HD (60 gig Maxtor) for a while but after returning from a trip late this morning I booted up my machine and got a 'non-bootable disk error', I checked the floppy...it was empty and the CD was empty as well. Tried to reboot & got same error. So in my sleep depraved mind I figured...np, Ill just unplug the floppy and try again. Well, like a complete idiot I reached down while the machine was powered up and running and yanked the pwr supply to the HD by mistake. As I did it I realized 'Oh crap' and hesitated just long enough so that the pwr supply connector shorted out at the connection the HD. ZAP!!! big spark and system crashed.

Now I know my HD is porked and I really dont care about that...what Im very worried about is collateral damage...especially to my video card and MB. Im stuck at work right now but will be installing a new HD this afternoon and reboot to see what happens. Anyone have any idea about the possibility of damage to other components?

Thanks in advance from a tired stupid person

kinetik

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
Well the computer Gods must watch out for fools and tired stupid people...after much rebooting, OS re-installing, and driver reinstalling I am back up and running, with the same HD no less. I was very amazed when the drive actually booted and viola! Everything was intact and operational.

This is soon to be a secondary system but its nice to know that it can take a lick'in & keep on tick'in

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Lol, when I was 9, I stuck the power connector for the floppy in the part of the hdd that was for the pins. hehe, I got that 5.4K rpm drive to 10K:) It still worked after!

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened he's all over the place :eek:

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't worry, some are even more stupid than you, like me :), I hot swapped the hard drive from powered on Dell laptop 3 days ago. I've been lucky, only the OS on the spare drive wont boot, the data still intact, fffewww!

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Wikked!!!

Yeah, I'd bet that hard disk is toast. I also bet that power supply is just fine. It's one thing if the supply arcs across the 12v line, and something completely else if it arcs across the 5v line, on the hard disk.

Like the computer geek told the acrobat: "Toast! Toast!"