Copying files over wired network via Wifi laptop

vern2482

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
I have a HTPC running XP and a Media Player connected on the same wired network. I also have a Win7 laptop connected to the same network over Wifi.

From the laptop I want to send files between the HTPC and Media player on the wired network however if I drag and drop or use the "send to" option they are sent via the wirelss laptop which is very slow.

Am I missing a trick how can I send files directly between the 2 devices?

I assume you have shared folders on both the HTPC and media player devices. By definition, when you drag and drop files from a third machine, the files use that third machine as a go-between. That operation literally means, copy to my machine and move it to the other. And that's because there's no assumption by your laptop that a direct connection even exists between the other two machines. It wouldn’t even know it if there was. Yeah, *you* may know it, but there's no way for your laptop to know it. All it knows for sure is that your laptop can act as a go-between.

The only way to force the transfer directly is from one of those machines, perhaps using a remote desktop session (e.g., RDP, VNC, LogMeIn) if that proves more practical/convenient.

vern2482

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks for your reply, Yes I have got shared folders. I guess a remote desktop session is the answer then, cheers.