silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, my mom decided to start pulling cords out of a running linux firewall one day, and now the system isn't lookin too good. I noticed I couldn't access the internet, and started looking into it. Here's what I've found:

I can log in remotely via ssh and perform operations from behind the firewall (using eth1), but I can't get past eth0 on the way out. The computer can't get an IP address for eth0 on boot (DHCP is enabled, and it was able to yesterday), and the lights on my cable modem indicate that eth0 isn't even trying to access the modem. On top of this, when I log in locally, the mouse doesn't work very well (cursor jumps all over the place), and a dialog box is shown saying that there is a problem with that interface.

It's not a huge deal, but I'd like to get the firewall back up. Any ideas?

Oh, and I don't think it's the NIC because it's lights come on fine like it's supposed to, and it's a good new card (linksys lne100tx on the tulip module).

Lyrics. Wasted time between solos.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Sounds like we need a Mom-HOWTO...

I know you said you think the card is good, but try another just to be sure. I had one that "usually" worked, and lit up like it should etc.

Otherwise, I'm buggered if I know... The mouse might be asymptomatic. It could be getting interrupted by a malfunctioning NIC for example.

Good Luck.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I may try to fix it remotely first... I can get a lot of things over the network, so that's alright.

I gave her clear instructions: DO NOT TOUCH... ah well.

Lyrics. Wasted time between solos.