just installed a netgear router

Hambone1950

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
my dad just installed a netgear router (for kindle use) and now we cant connect online to play games.....i supect that it may be a security issue , but we cant seem to get around it.
we are trying to connect thru the EA sports website to play tiger woods 08.....we have played for years and now , with the new router installed (which we are not using for the game ) the game does not see me. he does play successfully with his friend who lives right nearby , so why not me ?
he is in maine and i m in mass.....

any thoughts would be appreciated.....

Perhaps the online game requires you to forward ports on your router. And perhaps you either forgot that you had done that years ago w/ your old router, or had UPnP (Universal Plug-N-Play) enabled but it's now disabled on the new router, or maybe you had placed the PC in the router's DMZ on the old router and didn't do the same thing on the new router. Could be any of these. They all solve the problem of managing ports on the router’s firewall but in slightly different ways.

Hambone1950

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks for your help , although I have no idea what most of that means.
How would I tell my dad how to get to his routers firewall or forward ports because those actually sound like solutions.
What confuses me is that he can connect with one person online , but not me.
Anyhow , I hate to be dense but this is just beyond my skill level
Thanks for any help you can give