SCSI controller? Which one?

PCHardstuff

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
I am gutting my old P3 500 and replacing the MB, RAM, CPU, power supply, and video card. I have a scsi plextor 12x10x32 cd-rw and a scsi plextor 40x cd-rom drive that I want to keep using. My old m/b had onboard scsi(p2b-s) so I will need to get a new scsi card. I want to keep the price down as much as possible. Which one would you guys recommend? The only thing that it would be used with is the cd-rom and cd-rw.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got an old cel600 system in the same boat with all SCSI on the MB. My personal advice is to loose the SCSI. IDE has come a long way.

If you decide to keep scsi go with the cheapest you can find because neither of those drives stress the interface at all.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
An Adaptec 2940 card can be found used for around $20, supports all 50-pin devices, is compatable with almost any system or software, and is faster than any CD device. It also has a handy external connector for attaching an inexpensive SCSI scanner or other SCSI device if you so choose.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For 20 bucks it would be worth it to keep your scsi stuff. I wouldn't upgrade the scsi stuff, esp a dvd. Ide dvd players are actually faster then scsi.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've owned both versions, the only advantage of the UW is that it also has a 68-pin interface, which he doesn't need. Either one would be fine for his use though. Since I own a few 68-pin drives I use the UW myself.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?