Sign in with
Your question

Laptop crashes, reboot and no Wifi...

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 6, 2012 4:38:19 PM

Gday Tom's,

A friend of mine has experienced a crash with her Toshiba Satellite while watching a vid on the net. It froze completely so she did a battery pull and re-booted the system.

After booting up Windows 7 after the password screen the laptop crashed completely.

The same problem occurred once again so she loaded Windows in safe mode with networking. The computer seemed to function normally so she rebooted into normal mode.

Since then everything appears to be functioning except the Wifi (that was used in conjunction with an ADSL net connection).

The LED where the Wifi switch is no longer lights up and no Wifi connection can be made.

I suspect that as a result of the initial crash the connection settings may have been reset but perhaps the Wifi in the laptop itself has just died and needs to be repaired.

I know it could just be corrupted drivers or something - I updated the drivers for something called "Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter" using the auto update feature in Windows Device Manager but it didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
June 8, 2012 2:14:33 PM

Ok, so assuming the problem is a dead Wifi, can anyone tell me if it's difficult or expensive to repair or replace this on a laptop?

Cheers.
m
l
!