Sign in with
Your question

Socks5 for my gaming in Taiwan

Last response: in Networking
July 1, 2012 11:59:37 AM

Hi Guys,

Im living in Taiwan atm and im about to put a gaming rig together but im a bit worried about connections speeds to games than reside on international servers.

I will be playing Eve Online (London server only)

BF3

MW3

Company of heroes 1 ....& 2 when it comes out.

This question really applies to any non Asian server really tho, as my connection speeds in and around the island are not too bad.

So my question is, how can I optimise my connection speeds to these servers.

Things Ive considered so far:

Gaming Network card.
Beast of a PC
Socks5 proxy.

The last one is really my main question. I kinda know what socks5 does, I know Tor can hide my IP address and provide me with access to possibly blocked servers (I will be connecting from Taiwan remember)

So will this help me in anyway, for example create fewer hops, as all nodes will become available to me, thus giving me a faster path to the destination server?

Really need some help here as im dont want to drop $1600 on a gaming PC only to be limited by latency.

Cheers guys

Joe

More about : socks5 gaming taiwan

July 1, 2012 12:30:15 PM

A gaming card and beast of a PC isn't really going to make a huge difference, if any, in your internet performance. The internet, by its very nature, has a certain amount of latency and variability that nothing you do locally is going to affect or improve it much. All you can do is minimize any local inefficiency, but that's about it.

While TOR does provide a proxy, it’s not particularly efficient. And it’s not designed to be. It’s designed for ANONYMITY. And it does so by using what’s call an “onion router”. Just like an onion, the router is a series of layers, each layer representing a jump to another proxy. IOW, it’s a series of nested proxies, each using secure protocols. With each successive layer/proxy, it gets harder and harder to determine the originating source’s IP address. Even someone who’s providing one of the proxies in this chain of proxies only knows the IP address of the immediately preceding and following proxies, but never both the original source and destination IPs.

Of course, all this anonymity comes at the price of performance. So unless you need anonymity, I don’t see TOR as a good solution.

If you need a proxy, the fewer proxies the better. But yes, you start to lose some anonymity. Using the example of a VPN provider, while it prevents your ISP from knowing your destination IP, the VPN provider does know both your source and destination IPs. Thus to the extent the VPN provider is subject to inquiry, they could be forced to reveal them.

July 1, 2012 1:52:17 PM

Ok so no point in gaming network card.

I'm getting a beast anyway.

Socks5 out. I don't care about anonymity, I just hoped to limit the amount of jumps to the destination server by opening up more options.

Is there anything I can do software or hardware wise to limit ping times to servers in Europe and the US? Or any server off the island for that matter as speeds drop dramatically outside of Taiwan.

Please anyone just suggest something no matter how complicated or even if it's just an idea that might work.

Thanks

Joe

July 1, 2012 2:55:58 PM

There's nothing wrong w/ Sock5. You just don't want to use a Socks5 onion router.

You can't control the number of internet hops. That's determined by the internet itself and its routers. You have ZERO say in the matter. That's what makes the Internet so flexible and pliable. The system decides for itself when and where traffic is routed. And that may be fast at times, slow at other times, depending on many factors.

That said, you may find that some proxies are better than others in terms of response times. It may just be where they're located compared to you. Or the fact it's in some "corner" of the internet w/ less traffic. But that’s only incidental and can change over time. The only thing you can do is try different ones, experiment. But it's not as if anyone can point to this or that service/proxy, or configuration change, and GUARANTEE anything. The ppl providing the proxies have no more control of matters than you do. We're ALL at the mercy of the Internet and how *it* decides to manage traffic.

If it helps, think of it like Obamacare. You have zero say in the matter. A bunch of faceless, nameless bureaucrats will make all the decisions for you. Hopefully it all works out for you, but if it doesn’t, there’s no one to call, there’s nothing to fix, you just have to accept things as they are and learn to cope.

I know that’s a particularly pessimistic view, even frustrating, but the truth is, gaming isn’t the most ideal application for the Internet because of its sensitivity to response time (VOIP (voice over IP) can suffer from the same problem). Not unless the internet supported QoS (Quality of Service) controls, in which case certain traffic would have priority over other traffic. But given the preference for Net Neutrality by most ppl, that remains mostly a dream.
!